Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I'm new to the Verizon trade in program. In the past, I have always sold my old iPhones on Craigslist and eBay. However, the $650 promo is too good to pass up.

My only concern is the wording of, "Trade in must be in good working and cosmetic condition." This is a little but of a grey area. What does Verizon consider as "good working and cosmetic condition?" I would consider my phone in good condition and probably a 7/10 for a 2 year old phone. The only thing it has is some little Knicks/scratches from dirt/dust getting inside of the case that's been on the phone for 2 years.

I'm probably looking way too much into it. Thoughts? Thanks!
If you can honestly answer all of the questions "Yes," then you get the full value.

Reactions: miss.manson

JSway

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Just spoke with a CSR and they said my trade in would have to be mailed with the shipping material they provided when I did the Verizon pre order online. She made it sound like it was tied to a phone #, and it verified if you were on the DPP.

She said in store trade in for the $650 promo wasn't possible. I'd much rather do it in store versus online to avoid any confusion or things getting lost in the way to the hub.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Just spoke with a CSR and they said my trade in would have to be mailed with the shipping material they provided when I did the Verizon pre order online. She made it sound like it was tied to a phone #, and it verified if you were on the DPP.

She said in store trade in for the $650 promo wasn't possible. I'd much rather do it in store versus online to avoid any confusion or things getting lost in the way to the hub.
Both are wrong. That rep doesn't know what she's talking about.

JSway

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Both are wrong. That rep doesn't know what she's talking about.

Yeah ... That was the weird part. She did read off a script, and said Indirect retailers (Apple, Best Buy, Go Wireless) were eligible. I even asked her to ask her supervisor about in store trade in for the promo and the same answer was given.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Yeah ... That was the weird part. She did read off a script, and said Indirect retailers (Apple, Best Buy, Go Wireless) were eligible. I even asked her to ask her supervisor about in store trade in for the promo and the same answer was given.
Call the trade in center at 1-800-416-8894

RansZ28

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Gilbert AZ
Without revealing too much information, could those that have traded in at the Verizon Corporate Store, but purchased through the Apple Store, post a copy of the receipt, or paperwork given at the Verizon Store?

I know it's a lot to ask for, but I'm trying to upgrade two lines on my account sooner rather than later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 231
Reactions: seatton and JSway

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
So, I was able to to do the below. Went to Verizon store and they moved the prepaid number to a new line on my postpaid account using the old flip phone. Then went to Apple Store and Apple put the 7 Plus on DPP. Went back to Verizon and traded in my 6s on there $650 credit trade in plan. Brought the 7 plus home and everything worked! Long process, but at least it works. Both stores had great customer service! :)

So, I have a Verizon iPhone 7 plus reserved at the Apple store. I am moving my wife from Verizon prepaid to my Verizon postpaid account. Since her account is a prepaid will I still be able to do this at the Apple Store. I know I would need to add the line and phone to my Postpaid account, but also want to move her phone number too. Thanks for the help! :)

Reactions: JSway

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Does this require the use of an upgrade? I had two reps tell me yes today. But first time I've heard of it.

verdi1987

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
So, I was able to to do the below. Went to Verizon store and they moved the prepaid number to a new line on my postpaid account using the old flip phone. Then went to Apple Store and Apple put the 7 Plus on DPP. Went back to Verizon and traded in my 6s on there $650 credit trade in plan. Brought the 7 plus home and everything worked! Long process, but at least it works. Both stores had great customer service! :)

I'm a little confused. Why couldn't you just add a new line to your account with the 7 Plus at the Apple Store, port your wife's number (either upon activation of the 7 Plus or later), and then do the trade-in?

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Because it was going from Verizon prepaid to postpaid. This was the only way to do it.

I'm a little confused. Why couldn't you just add a new line to your account with the 7 Plus at the Apple Store, port your wife's number (either upon activation of the 7 Plus or later), and then do the trade-in?

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
i was at the check out point and made a big realization. My 64GB 6S+ is paid off, AppleCare for another year. Trade into Verizon, get a 32GB iPhone 7+, pay them $5 a month plus taxes, no AppleCare. So add another $129 on top of that. It's just not worth it at this time for me.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
i was at the check out point and made a big realization. My 64GB 6S+ is paid off, AppleCare for another year. Trade into Verizon, get a 32GB iPhone 7+, pay them $5 a month plus taxes, no AppleCare. So add another $129 on top of that. It's just not worth it at this time for me.

What I did was call Apple, get a prorated refund for the AC+ on my 6S, and now I have a check for $64 so technically I only paid about another $65 for AC+ on my 7.

RansZ28

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Gilbert AZ
What I did was call Apple, get a prorated refund for the AC+ on my 6S, and now I have a check for $64 so technically I only paid about another $65 for AC+ on my 7.

I agree. You should cancel the AP, so you only paid for the year that you used it. Remember that VZW is giving you $650 for that device, whereas other trade-in places average about $300. Think of where you will be in 1 year. Do you want a 7 to upgrade to an 8 or a 6s (that will be worth less than now) to upgrade to an 8? Just some thoughts

jdsmitty10

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
If you can honestly answer all of the questions "Yes," then you get the full value.

Even if there are "nicks" in the screen and the phone is ever so slightly bent? I answered yes to all the questions but it didn't ask if the phone was bent. Keeping fingers crossed they don't notice lol

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
I agree. You should cancel the AP, so you only paid for the year that you used it. Remember that VZW is giving you $650 for that device, whereas other trade-in places average about $300. Think of where you will be in 1 year. Do you want a 7 to upgrade to an 8 or a 6s (that will be worth less than now) to upgrade to an 8? Just some thoughts

that is a good point

ajaxmonkey

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
Even if there are "nicks" in the screen and the phone is ever so slightly bent? I answered yes to all the questions but it didn't ask if the phone was bent. Keeping fingers crossed they don't notice lol

When did you mail yours off?

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
For people that traded in, in store. Was your bill automatically set to the correct numbers for monthly payment? Or still have to wait 1-3 months?

RansZ28

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Gilbert AZ
For people that traded in, in store. Was your bill automatically set to the correct numbers for monthly payment? Or still have to wait 1-3 months?
The first two credits will be applied on the 3rd bill.
The DPP will always show a charge, then another line item of the credit. So you will end up overpaying then get the large credit, pay the lesser balance and good to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.