Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Verizon will never, ever change. It's great that T-Mobile exists, otherwise, the industry would be so much worse.

One company includes taxes and fees in its plans, the other just raises and raises them.

Last edited:
Reactions: myscrnnm

bick

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2008
Palo Alto, California
Try cricket. ATT towers and unlimited for $65 a month. Sure it's capped at 8mbps, that plenty fast for mobile
Even better, I pay exactly $100 per month with Cricket for 5 LINES INCLUDING TAX!!! Cricket is owned by AT&T and uses the same AT&T network. Going from post-paid to pre-paid is going to save you a fortune. An activation fee is pocket change in relation to the amount you pay over time for service.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I just can't imagine that very many people would be okay with the small carriers like Cricket. Yes. You save a good bit of money, but you're not getting the same quality product/service. I want fast speeds and good coverage. If smartphones weren't around today, that would be different.

I gave T-Mobile a shot. It wasn't awful, but there were plenty of times on roads or in buildings where I had no signal. Basic things like their iOS app and website messed up frequently. I had the simple choice plan with 10gb per line for 2 lines. That included tethering. I never came close to using 10gb of data because of binge on and music freedom. The One plan sounded like a step down for me.

All in all, if they improve their network coverage and spectrum more, id be willing to try again in the future. Just have to get the basics more consistent.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I'll be honest I'm surprised carriers in the U.K. have never pulled a stunt like this.

Most of them apply RPI to increase the airtime on an annual basis and they've also increased overage charges in the past couple of years too.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
I just can't imagine that very many people would be okay with the small carriers like Cricket. Yes. You save a good bit of money, but you're not getting the same quality product/service. I want fast speeds and good coverage. If smartphones weren't around today, that would be different.
Did you not read the previous comment? Cricket is owned by AT&T. It's not a "small carrier" [sic]. Phones using the Cricket Wireless service connect to AT&T cellular towers.

What customers on prepaid services like Cricket miss are things like hotspot access, international coverage, and at least in the past other features like Visual Voicemail, etc. Plus, the customer service is generally poorer than if you use the big name-brand postpaid services like AT&T.

kjvmartin

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2016
Detroit
I tried Sprint. I need to be able to do things like text and receive texts reliably. I would often go a whole night at home with 0 notifications on my phone and then hit the freeway and it would light up like the 4th of July.

I am not happy about this fee and have been considering a switch to Google Fi with a Pixel.

FactVsOpinion

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
So just to be clear: if one buys a new iPhone sim-free, takes the sim out of their old phone, puts it in their old phone, and does all of this without ever entering a Verizon store or calling their customer support... That costs $30?

So glad I'm not with this awful, greedy company.

Edit: replies have indicated they do not charge the fee in the scenario I described, but do if you buy from Verizon. Which strikes me as odd (why are they incentivizing people to NOT buy from them directly?) but not as bad as what I was imagining.

I suppose. But is it not the case that Verizon doesn't use SIM cards?

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Yes I'm thinking about just going back to prepaid again. This postpaid stuff is just getting way too expensive. $100+ a month for one single line with 6gb of data or whatever, just crazy.

Reactions: Moorepheus

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Yes I'm thinking about just going back to prepaid again. This postpaid stuff is just getting way too expensive. $100+ a month for one single line with 6gb of data or whatever, just crazy.

Did you miss just last week when T-Mobile introduced their new One plan, which is a single line with unlimited data for $70/mo -- and that includes all taxes and fees.

Getting back on topic, I got a new phone last month. I was replacing a feature phone and I needed a new SIM card because the one I had would not fit my new smartphone. Went to a local T-Mobile store, told them I needed a new SIM, showed ID, they did some typing, and handed me the card to punch out. That was it.

Unlike this Verizon upgrade, T-Mobile actually had to give me something physical as part of the transaction -- and they still didn't charge me anything.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
Well, it's not like this is a new charge. Verizon has been extracting their pound of flesh for years. They are simply adjusting the pricing.

With the disappearance of handset subsidies in the USA, postpaid, previously handset subsidy loving Joe Consumer should expect to see a few more of these service fee increases.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They used to essentially pay customers to upgrade and stay with them (by giving some money toward a subsidized upgrade), then they stopped that but at least didn't charge to upgrade either, and then they started to charge customers to essentially just to stay with them on top of paying for devices (and of course service) as well. "Progress."

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
Tell them you will switch to at and t when your contract expires.

If the fee isn't waived then leave.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I don't think you get hit with the upgrade fee if you buy from Apple directly. Though I am more than sure that if people start to get around the fee Verizon/ AT&T will add that to the Apple purchased phones as well.

colonels1020

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
Criminals. Love their service... beginning to loathe their prices. $180 plus fees for 20GB... just saying. If T-Mobile actually reached the 50mbp/s that I get for their $70/month, I'd switch, but Verizon's speed and reliability is awesome.

Le Sigh.

I usually keep a steady 70mbp/s with T-Mobile.

6u5TCG3.jpg

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Verizon also recently told clarified its data usage policies for unlimited customers, notifying employees that customers who use over 200GB per month will be forced to move to a tiered data plan.

Just more Bovine feces from the big 4 companies.
Next, they are going to finally eliminate all those grandfathered unlimited data plan.

Not without violating the terms by which VZW purchased the 700MHz spectrum. I hope they get sued in court if they terminate someone's unlimited account.

Why do people still pay money to this company...

And if you say anything about their coverage you're about two years too late unless you legitimately live in an extremely rural area and even then, AT&T exists.

AT&T's coverage in rural areas is poor. VZW's advantage in rural areas comes from the fact that their network still uses analog technology (CDMA) which carries a signal farther and through more dense terrain than its digital counterpart.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
This is what happens when you limit competition! Verizon and ATT continue to increase rates on everything because there is no competition. I am paying double what I paid 5 years ago for the same service, nothing has changed except my bill! Verizon and ATT continue to grow and as they get bigger, we will all pay more!

They ARE competition for each other. But in this backwards world today, companies to compete to see how much more they can charge for the same things. It's in virtually every market, not just cellular providers.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I guess this will help pay for their useless Yahoo acquisition.

So how did they force you off your unlimited plan? I've had mine through AT&T for years since they removed it.

I tethered only very briefly a few times. Got an automated text one day saying I'd be forced onto a 4GB + tethering plan. They said they sent me warning texts but I received none whatsoever. Sure, unauthorized tethering was against the rules, but I guess being a paying customer for several years, threats to leave and all the other details didn't matter to them at all. Their loss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.