Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
It's too late anyways. You are now locked into the $50 data plan, and since this week people have been losing unlimited data by following this method.
:( I know I got really busy with a few things and this Verizon thing got pushed to the side.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
How have people been losing their UDP this week?
By people who utilized the Best Buy and Apple upgrade glitch. It seems that if you activate the new subsidized phone on your account around 11/14 or 11/15 or later, it uses the IMEI of the phone to process the activation. If you received your phone and activated it before then, you're fine, unless you are swapping devices after 11/15.

For example, there was someone I read on another forum that received their new phone on 11/9, activated it and used it fine, switched the SIM between his two phones and kept his unlimited data. However after 11/15 he was using his phone fine, until he swapped the SIM and put it back, only to discover it wouldn't activate and he had to call Verizon. Looking at his account he was now on a 2GB plan.

Reactions: emilioestevez

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Verizon burning through these UDP plans and salting the ground when it's done. Damn!

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
If they raise prices again from $50 to say $70. It may be the final straw for most remaining non rural users.

Cause most people can get Comcast Verizon fios etc home internet for around $50-60 a month. So it would essentially give people who use Verizon unlimited data as home internet subsititue no more reason once the price gets to a certain point.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
AT&T next?
Yup. Good call.

Ugh. As someone else said. Bad for us AT&T UDP customers since these companies just mirror each other's changes.
Yup. Good call.

My strategy if AT&T does this is to call and say I want to cancel. See what retentions can do for me.
You got their number yet?

If AT&T does this with my Unlimited Data plan I'll do the same thing that the OP did to avoid it. Even if it is just for 2 years. ;)
Good luck.

emilioestevez

Suspended
Aug 25, 2015
I did the Best Buy method last month on multiple lines. All are contracted till 2017 with the $30 UDP. :)

F*ck Verizon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.