Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

105910-speedtest_net_graph.jpg

Just as pre-orders for the Verizon iPhone begin for the carrier's existing customers, BGR points to a PDF document on Verizon's website revealing a new policy that will see the carrier possibly throttling data speeds for the top 5% of its customers when it comes to data usage. The policy takes effect for customers subscribing to data services beginning today. From the document:Verizon Wireless strives to provide customers the best experience when using our network, a shared resource among tens of millions of customers. To help achieve this, if you use an extraordinary amount of data and fall within the top 5% of Verizon Wireless data users we may reduce your data throughput speeds periodically for the remainder of your then current and immediately following billing cycle to ensure high quality network performance for other users at locations and times of peak demand. Our proactive management of the Verizon Wireless network is designed to ensure that the remaining 95% of data customers aren't negatively affected by the inordinate data consumption of just a few users.Verizon is also announcing data "optimization" efforts in which it seeks to increase the efficiency of its network by compressing text, images, and video, perhaps most notably "sizing the video more appropriately for the device". The carrier notes that while most effects of the optimization will be indiscernible, it may "minimally impact the appearance" of content on users' devices. The document links to a page on Verizon's website discussing the optimization techniques, although the page is currently unavailable.

Update: The page on Verizon's site explaining optimization is now live.

Article Link: Verizon Reserving Right to Throttle Data Speeds for Top 5% of Users

Last edited:

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Before people start crynig about "unlimited" data; you can still consume as much data as you want... at the speed Verizon chooses for you.

as long as they make it very clear in the contract that they do this (not in 4pt font on page 142). Maybe they can offer a premium contract for people who really need that (but couldn't image needing so much data on a phone)

ELScorcho9

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
Seems like a good idea from a logical, effecient perspective, but this is going to piss off subscribers whether it actually affects them or not.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
This is how it starts.

Wanna bet any services offered by Verizon won't be compressed?

Thanks for the Net Neutrality, Google. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
This is how it starts.

Wanna bet any services offered by Verizon won't be compressed?

Thanks for the Net Nuetrality, Google. :rolleyes:

For clarification, I'm not referring to the throttling, I'm referring to the "data optimization".
Verizon is also announcing data "optimization" efforts in which it seeks to increase the efficiency of its network by compressing text, images, and video, perhaps most notably "sizing the video more appropriately for the device".

Kenrik

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2004
If I'm reading this right...

THEY WILL THROTTLE YOU DOWN FOR UP TO TWO MONTHS.

Haha Verizon people... Sucks to be you.

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
after reading the initial reviews of speed and data dropping (which was already known) and now this, I'm no longer even considering switching to verizon. Pass! :apple:

Fly Rodder

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
So with the retained bandwidth we'll see cheaper plans?

Not bloody likely.

I'm tired of paying for 2gb when all I need is 500mb. Tiered service would be great if there were actually tiers. Instead the casual data users are getting raked over the coals to pay for the data hogs.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
For clarification, I'm not referring to the throttling, I'm referring to the "data optimization".

Yes, it's a shame everything's going to be wrapped up into 1 story in the media. I'm in favor of throttling but opposed to the data optimization.

There's little room for that kind of nuance in many people's minds.

I is Mac

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

So that's how fascism starts. Next thing u know it will be the top 50% and anyone talking during peak times will be charged $.20 per minute. Damn verizon Nazis.

CANEHDN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Eagle Mountain, UT
I think it's awesome how Verizon says they have the network issue that AT&T has "covered." All they're doing is limited people's bandwidth. Also, I read that Verizon will not allow multitasking on the network. So you can't check your email, surf the internet, or text while you're on the phone. I'd rather have the "lack of service" and have more features.

Corruptitudes

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2009
All Hail the Mighty Verizon! May you live long and prosper, and may your sheep flock to you like fleas...

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
I think everyone is forgetting a keyword here: MAY throttle

I think what they are saying is if our network is too slow, we will throttle, but if everything is working fine for everyone, we won't.

Also, I would be interested to know how much data it takes to get into the top 5%, for example if everyone else only uses 500MB of data and you use 550MB, then you would be in the top 5%. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.