Verizon service I a crowded area

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by giper54, Apr 30, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I had a taste of Verizon LTE the other day and it was great. I have a AT&T and the HSPA+ speed is nice, but when I have horrible data speeds, even with 4 or 5 bars, when I am in an area with a large crowd. I was driving by the Buffalo Bills stadium during a game and I had no data, my friend who has ATT says that his data does not work when he is at a Sabres game. When I drive by a large shopping mall I lose my data (I can't get twitter to download new tweets). I was at a swim meet, had 5 bars and the crowd was only 200-300 people and my data crawled.

Are there any Verizon user's with LTE who can verify that they still have great data speeds in area's with a large crowd (sporting events, etc).

Are there any AT&T usuer's with LTE who can very that their data speeds are better in an area with a large crowd than with HSPA+?

2. macrumors 68040

I get great LTE speeds on both AT&T and Verizon in Orlando at the Orlando Magic games.

I have both AT&T and Verizon service.
    Still get 10-20mpbs speeds on both carriers in a crowded arena.

----------

To add. My wife iPhone 4s still gets 3-6mpbs during game day also in Orlando.

Now when we are up in Knoxville attending a UT football game with over 100k. AT&T speeds slow to a crawl. Barely manageable.

But my mother in law iPhone 4s with Verizon is barely usable on Verizon's network also. Like slower than dial up on Verizon 3G.

3. macrumors 6502a

Smileyboy

Interesting topic... Subscribed.

My Att speeds on my iP4S at the Rockies, Nuggets games are great. But at a Broncos game forget it.
    My inlays have VZW and iP4 and have ok speeds in Denver at Bronco games

4. macrumors 65816

Arnezie

You do realize bars and data are different don't you:confused:

5. macrumors 68040

Right now LTE networks are not congested. Supposedly LTE is a bigger pipe so can support more traffice.

We will not know the real answer until LTE iPhone is released and people start using them in crowded football stadiums.

And for Verizon users. Please remember that a 3G iPhone still outside all LTE smartphones 2 to 1 last quarter and 3 to 1 in q4 2011.

So the LTE networks are not congested with smartphone users YET.

6. macrumors 65816

It all depends whether or not you are in a congested area. Bars of service represent the signal quality between you and the closes cell tower. If there is too much demand with a tower, then cell phones that depend on that tower will not work. People at large sporting events call, text, and browse Facebook therefore there is a high demand.

7. macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

All I know is I paid for the iphone 4s after having enough with att on my old iPhone 4. In the loop in Chicago full bars going straight to voicemail and slow as hell data. Verizon rock solid everywhere except in the underground parts of the el (slips to 2g but still full bars)