Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a very brief response to a question from Beet.tv regarding the iPhone, Verizon spokesman John Johnson notes that the company is not planning to carry the iPhone in the "immediate future", before quickly redirecting the conversation to tout Verizon's new handset offerings.
Q: Let me ask you first of all about Verizon and the iPhone. What is happening, if anything? What is the status?

A: No one ever asks that question. (Smiles) So, no plans to carry the iPhone in the immediate future, but you've gotta look at the incredible excitement around the Android devices...
Johnson's comments are not much of a surprise, considering that he would be unable to divulge any such plans if they did exist, but the footage is making the rounds today as a tempering of expectations for those who might be hoping for a Verizon iPhone announcement at Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference next week. One recent report has pegged a Verizon iPhone release for as early as November given reports of the status of the manufacturing testing process with rumored manufacturer Pegatron, although many observers see a 2011 launch to be more likely.

Article Link: Verizon Spokesman: No iPhone Plans in 'Immediate Future'

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
We should all know by now that any future partner of Apple's would be under a gag order. Perhaps he simply has the sense to abide by it.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
We should all know by now that any future partner of Apple's would be under a gag order. Perhaps he simply has the sense to abide by it.

Or perhaps he is telling truth ;) But then i guess since the truth is not what people really want to hear. They will continue to wait for unicorns

allendsmeet

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2009
This guy's a laugh. HTC... Android.... As if underwhelmed by the iPhone. He can't deny iPhone's power, or AT&T's awesomeness at handing Verizon its arse, so he makes sure to avoid Verizon + iPhone-anything.

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Duh!

Can we now stop these Verizon iPhone/iPad rumors?

Apple will not build a CDMA device...their technology is old, slow, and lacks critical features.

asdavis10

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Bermuda
All he's doing is trying not to freeze sales of Android devices because of an upcoming iPhone launch. The iPhone is definitely going to Verizon.

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
AT&T should write him a thank you. That ought to boost their Gen 4 iPhone sales quite a bit.

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
A shame, but as much as I love the iPhone, I don't love it enough to abide by AT&T's new pricing policy.

I would suggest it's time to try Android.

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
Or perhaps he is telling truth ;) But then i guess since the truth is not what people really want to hear. They will continue to wait for unicorns

and of course anyone that has been saying it won't happen will be seeing this as a confirmation of what they want to hear when in reality there is no way that this guy would be giving a straight answer. :rolleyes:

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
A shame, but as much as I love the iPhone, I don't love it enough to abide by AT&T's new pricing policy.

What's wrong with the new pricing policy? If you already have an iPhone, you can continue with your unlimited plan. What's wrong with more options to help reduce your costs? I'm gonna save a ton of money under the new plans.

stewart715

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
I'm not saying the iPhone IS coming to Verizon this Summer or Fall, but if it WAS, this guy wouldn't know jack ****.

capsfan1978

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010

You do know that if you already have the unlimited plan you won't be affected by the new pricing policy? That's only for new subscribers and anyone who wants to change.

- I see I'm not the only one who sees it this way

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Why? Steve Jobs denied the existence of both the iPhone and iPad and then 2 months later released them. "Immediate future" could mean next week.

I'm just considering all the things against an iphone coming to verizon. I dont think apple would develope a CDMA phone. How would it work in Europe?

capsfan1978

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010
And until I can surf the internet while talking on the phone on Verizon I don't care if they get the iPhone or not.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
There's obviously not going to be a Verizon iPhone next week but I think, if anything, this only provides more evidence for the rumored November/2011 launch.

i could see that happening. Plently of time for Verizon to properly develope their 4G network and make sure it can handle the iphone. Unlike AT&T

Tyler.Schmaltz

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2004
Velva
Didn't the whole no contract unlimited data plan at&t offered for the ipad extend the Iphone exclusivity agreement 6 months. So wouldn't that of ended in June of 2010 so now it ends January 1 2011 which would fit with all the rumors of a 2011 release on Verizon? And it only makes sense for apple to release it phone to one of the largest U.S carriers. Yeah CDMA is a little slower and older but from a pure business stand point it would be retarded not to release it to Verizon.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Even if the iPhone was coming to Verizon next week, this guy wouldn't be able to say anything about it. You can't treat this statement as the gospel one way or the other. So in essence, everybody is still hearing what they want to hear on this subject. We'll find out for sure very soon.

AmpSkillz

macrumors regular
If anything I'm guessing Sprint will carry the iPhone before Verizon (subsidized anyway)

Sprint is desperate enough to give into any of Apples demands

i'm sure many will make their way to Verizon at that point anyway

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.