Verizon Spokesman: No iPhone Plans in 'Immediate Future'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 3, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In a very brief response to a question from Beet.tv regarding the iPhone, Verizon spokesman John Johnson notes that the company is not planning to carry the iPhone in the "immediate future", before quickly redirecting the conversation to tout Verizon's new handset offerings.
    Johnson's comments are not much of a surprise, considering that he would be unable to divulge any such plans if they did exist, but the footage is making the rounds today as a tempering of expectations for those who might be hoping for a Verizon iPhone announcement at Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference next week. One recent report has pegged a Verizon iPhone release for as early as November given reports of the status of the manufacturing testing process with rumored manufacturer Pegatron, although many observers see a 2011 launch to be more likely.

Article Link: Verizon Spokesman: No iPhone Plans in 'Immediate Future'

2. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

We should all know by now that any future partner of Apple's would be under a gag order. Perhaps he simply has the sense to abide by it.

3. macrumors 65816

JediZenMaster

Or perhaps he is telling truth ;) But then i guess since the truth is not what people really want to hear. They will continue to wait for unicorns

4. macrumors newbie

This guy's a laugh. HTC... Android.... As if underwhelmed by the iPhone. He can't deny iPhone's power, or AT&T's awesomeness at handing Verizon its arse, so he makes sure to avoid Verizon + iPhone-anything.

5. macrumors 65816

Oh well! AT&T here, I come!

6. macrumors 6502a

Duh!

Can we now stop these Verizon iPhone/iPad rumors?

Apple will not build a CDMA device...their technology is old, slow, and lacks critical features.

7. macrumors regular

All he's doing is trying not to freeze sales of Android devices because of an upcoming iPhone launch. The iPhone is definitely going to Verizon.

8. macrumors 6502a

AT&T should write him a thank you. That ought to boost their Gen 4 iPhone sales quite a bit.

9. macrumors 6502a

Groundbreaking.
    I told you so?

10. macrumors 6502

A shame, but as much as I love the iPhone, I don't love it enough to abide by AT&T's new pricing policy.

I would suggest it's time to try Android.

11. macrumors 6502

kironin

and of course anyone that has been saying it won't happen will be seeing this as a confirmation of what they want to hear when in reality there is no way that this guy would be giving a straight answer. :rolleyes:

12. macrumors 6502a

What's wrong with the new pricing policy? If you already have an iPhone, you can continue with your unlimited plan. What's wrong with more options to help reduce your costs? I'm gonna save a ton of money under the new plans.

13. macrumors 6502

I'm not saying the iPhone IS coming to Verizon this Summer or Fall, but if it WAS, this guy wouldn't know jack ****.

14. macrumors 68000

deannnnn

There's obviously not going to be a Verizon iPhone next week but I think, if anything, this only provides more evidence for the rumored November/2011 launch.

15. macrumors 65816

Why? Steve Jobs denied the existence of both the iPhone and iPad and then 2 months later released them. "Immediate future" could mean next week.

16. macrumors newbie

You do know that if you already have the unlimited plan you won't be affected by the new pricing policy? That's only for new subscribers and anyone who wants to change.

- I see I'm not the only one who sees it this way

17. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I'm just considering all the things against an iphone coming to verizon. I dont think apple would develope a CDMA phone. How would it work in Europe?

18. macrumors 6502a

I remember the 'there is no reason for video on the ipod' quotes.

19. macrumors newbie

And until I can surf the internet while talking on the phone on Verizon I don't care if they get the iPhone or not.

20. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

i could see that happening. Plently of time for Verizon to properly develope their 4G network and make sure it can handle the iphone. Unlike AT&T

21. macrumors 6502a

That would be up to the handset manufacturer, Rev A network can do it.

22. macrumors member

Didn't the whole no contract unlimited data plan at&t offered for the ipad extend the Iphone exclusivity agreement 6 months. So wouldn't that of ended in June of 2010 so now it ends January 1 2011 which would fit with all the rumors of a 2011 release on Verizon? And it only makes sense for apple to release it phone to one of the largest U.S carriers. Yeah CDMA is a little slower and older but from a pure business stand point it would be retarded not to release it to Verizon.

23. macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Even if the iPhone was coming to Verizon next week, this guy wouldn't be able to say anything about it. You can't treat this statement as the gospel one way or the other. So in essence, everybody is still hearing what they want to hear on this subject. We'll find out for sure very soon.

24. macrumors G5

jav6454

This should shut up Verizon fanboys for a while.

25. macrumors regular

AmpSkillz

If anything I'm guessing Sprint will carry the iPhone before Verizon (subsidized anyway)

Sprint is desperate enough to give into any of Apples demands

i'm sure many will make their way to Verizon at that point anyway