Verizon tethering-now enabled and free?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greekpaz22, Apr 30, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Odd thing today. I opened up settings and the tethering option is now on my phone-Verizon iPhone 4s. It functions perfectly.

I did not add any features, I just have a standard 2gb plan on a family plan.

Anyone else seeing this? Did Verizon change their policy or something odd on my end?

2. macrumors 601

Not sure but it has been allowed on my Xoom for quite some time.

3. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

That would put it inline with their new policy on Verizon enabled iPads. You can tether for free.

It makes sense. If i'm buying metered storage why should I be charged more to tether?

4. macrumors 68020

you're saying the personal hotspot feature now works free?

5. macrumors 604

cynics

Tablet data plans come with free tethering on Verizon.

I have a Verizon 4S and it doesn't have personal hotspot available. May want to check your bill.

6. macrumors 68020

yeah, but note, we're in the iPhone section, not iPad...

----------

Well, I just went to "personal hotspot" and it gave me the option to go to the website or call *611 to enable this feature on my phone :(

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that's the case with my phone. This just appeared today. I'm not jail broken or anything like that.

I agree they should let you do this since you pay for the data (metered) but was surprised to see the feature on my phone..

8. macrumors 68020

what does the menu look like? Can you take a screenshot? What happens when you hit "personal hotspot"?

Do you have an iPad on the same acct with tethering?

9. thread starter macrumors regular

No, I don't have an iPad with a cellular connection. The personal hotspot menu shows up the same as it would on an iPad though (I saw it on my friends iPad). Same functionality, flip it on and choose wifi, Bluetooth or USB..

Maybe I got lucky? I doubt it with VZ

----------

I would post the screenshot but dont know how to from my iPhone..help?

10. macrumors 68040

Just hope they don't bill you for it... that'd ought to piss you off.

11. macrumors 604

cynics

Yes, I know. I was explaining to the member that brought up his android tablet why he had free tethering. Hence the quote....

12. macrumors 68020

well, to take a screenshot you can hold the home button and hit the sleep/wake button. Then you have to put it on your computer and you can "attach" it to a post (look toward the bottom when you're posting something and click "manage attachments").

It's some work, so if you don't wanna, I don't blame you :D

Just interesting that you'd have it enabled!

13. macrumors regular

Not the case for me...

14. macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Actually, it's no work at all. Snap a screen shot and email it to yourself like any other pic. Then save the photo on your desktop or whatever and click on the paperclip in the MR reply window. Navigate to the pic and your done. The whole process should take about 20 seconds.

Now....

Pics or it didn't happen!

15. wymi, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

macrumors regular

Here's what I get, doesn't look free for me.

Attached Files:

16. macrumors 65816

chakraj

I know your password :)

17. macrumors regular

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm sitting a Home with sore throat & fever so just about anything can get by me.

18. macrumors 65816

Why tether when you aren't even on 3G? :D

19. macrumors 6502a

mines doesn't look like that. Look like it's available to you all you have to do is enable it. Mine shows "Set up Personal Hotspot" option and when i click the tab it tells me to call Verizon.

20. macrumors regular

I'm at Home, 3g flips in and out. I didn't say I was interested in tethering. It's just an example pic of what I get on my phone. Hopefully the op can snap a screen shot in comparison to mine.

21. macrumors newbie

Lenned

Smart, i didn't see that...

22. macrumors 601

Normally, when your carrier hasn't enabled the "Personal Hotspot" feature on your account, you get the "Set Up Personal Hotspot" button before you even get into the menu (shown in the first two screenshots). Tapping the button will prompt you to contact the carrier (they can customise the message to add their web address/phone number).

The third screenshot shows how it should look when the account has been provisioned to use the service.

Some carriers hide the menu entirely when the customer isn't eligible to use the feature (e.g. on prepaid tariffs).

Attached Files:

23. macrumors newbie

Tether iPhone to a Windows tablet?

Does anyone know if I can tether an iPhone with Verizon wireless to a Windows tablet?

If so, what iPhone and what Windows tablet? How about any other Verizon phone successfully tethering to a Windows tablet? If any can, please give details (phone model, tablet model, plans required with Verizon, etc.)

I mostly have to have Verizon in order to get service in the rural areas I work in (US Cellular is decent, but not as good as Verizon). Also, the apps I need to use on a daily basis....most of them are available only on a Windows operating system tablet....

Can anyone help? I don't wanna run out and buy a Windows tablet if I won't even be able to tether it to Verizon. I looked on Verizon's website and it didn't look like they are selling any Windows tablets...or else I'd just buy one with Data plan...although I'm behind a proxy that disables my Java Script and don't know if that makes Verizon's webpage not show all the available webpages...and I don't know how to enable Javascript on this proxy browser.

24. macrumors 6502a

If it can connect to WIFI there is no reason it shouldn't. It's not specific to any platform.