Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
As someone who still has a Verizon unlimited data plan, I applaud this move. It's quite hard to hit 100GB/mo unless you're torrenting movies and rushing home from work everyday to binge watch hours of Netflix/Hulu/etc.
So what if we are? Verizon says it has our back with OUR data.

Its cheaper to turn on hotspot and use my UNLIMITED DATA, which is under contract, to my own liking.

jtaylor673

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2013
Jacksonville FL
I believe "grandfathered" means it can't be taken away. Like if a house is considered commercial, it cannot be rezoned residential, unless you stop using it or change it to residential use. So if you are "grandfathered" by Verizon, they can't take it away, regardless of whether the contract is up and/or they have decided to offer different contracts. Like the house example, the city counsel cannot make your commercial house residential when, say, your tennants lease comes due and it's time to resign. The city cannot stop the renewal. The house is "grandfathered" until the owner makes the change, not the city counsel. ?

My wife still had the "grandfathered" ATT plan. Hopefully The FCC will protect her rights.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
I've never seen anything that says a carrier can't drop a grandfathered rate plan.

right. they break the contract that you and the company both signed because 'policy changes' and the law sides with a multinational corporation rather than individuals (thanks to lobbying). that's why you've never seen it said that they "aren't allowed."

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
right. they break the contract
Are they still bound on an expired contract?

I wondered by carriers like VZW and ATT seem to begrudgingly keep the unlimited folks, though they want them off the plans at this point

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
right. they break the contract that you and the company both signed because 'policy changes' and the law sides with a multinational corporation rather than individuals (thanks to lobbying). that's why you've never seen it said that they "aren't allowed."
I think that contract law applies to everyone, not just multinational corporations.

There may be penalties involved, but I've never heard of a contract that couldn't be broken/changed by either party.

The contract the Big 4 wireless carriers have the customers sign say that the penalty for the carrier breaking the contract is that customer has the right to walk away from the carrier without having to pay the early-termination fee. To me, that sides with the customer, not the company.

I'm not a fan of most of the policies of the wireless carriers, but on the same note, I can't think of any other business where the business is expected to never change the terms of service (price, services, etc) for literally the life of the company (which seems to be the expectation of some folks here).

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you are under a contract they won't change anything or would have to let you out of the contract if they do. Otherwise as is the case with most in this scenario the lines are not under contract and are basically month to month meaning that changes can happen with some notice ahead of time.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Are they still bound on an expired contract?

I read on Engadget that the last new contract they sold with this unlimited data plan was in 2011, so anybody on it now is out of contract and subject to any changes Verizon wants to make in my view.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I read on Engadget that the last new contract they sold with this unlimited data plan was in 2011, so anybody on it now is out of contract and subject to any changes Verizon wants to make in my view.
Yeah that's my point and confusion. They're no in contract and haven't been for a while, yet VZW seemed to avoid this issue for years, likewise with ATT. Why wouldn't they just stop the plan and force people onto another package at that point?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah that's my point and confusion. They're no in contract and haven't been for a while, yet VZW seemed to avoid this issue for years, likewise with ATT. Why wouldn't they just stop the plan and force people onto another package at that point?
Seems like they are doing more or less that little by little.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Maybe they were afraid customers would abandon ship, and now they are less concerned about that for whatever reason. That's my guess.

Reactions: aristobrat

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Maybe they were afraid customers would abandon ship, and now they are less concerned about that for whatever reason. That's my guess.
That seems to be the only plausible explanation
[doublepost=1469554416][/doublepost]
Seems like they are doing more or less that little by little.
Yes, but years and years later, where as ATT has not really moved people off of their defunct unlimited (what I suppose complicates ATT, is they now offer unlimited for directtv customers)

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
With a caveat...

I use both VZW and ATTWS, carry one of each with me wherever I go. Regarding VZW, I have 4 lines under contract thanks to the BB Method with UL data with 2 expiring soon and 2 lasting until late next year on my personal contract, and about 25 on my corporate-liable account, most with UL data. For my personal account, VZW could pretty much care less about me - for my corporate-liable account, you should have seen the face of my rep when she walked into my field office and saw a DirecTV unit in my client space. The vision involves a bodily function and little green apples... I told her that I'm porting some of my VZW lines over to ATTWS, and showed her the iPhone 6S I'm carrying that's running on ATTWS and now she's "working hard" to keep my VZW lines intact.

I told her that I don't abuse their network (and I'm pretty sure that she's aware of this bit...) but want a bill that's the same every month without having to check data totals every day near the end of a billing period. I think that the biz/gov VZW units get that, but the consumer unit has to deal with skinflints and data hogs. I've been given a 4-month-early upgrade on one of my personal lines - they're working to keep me paying their bills monthly...

FWIW, a couple of years ago I called in for consumer CS and heard the "upgrade" spiel - I told the rep that I NEVER again want to be force-fed an upgrade option, and they've never pushed me since. One of the few times that consumer CS listens to someone... ;) Cheers!

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
For my personal account, VZW could pretty much care less about me - for my corporate-liable account, you should have seen the face of my rep when she walked into my field office and saw a DirecTV unit in my client space.

No doubt you get different treatment if you are a corporate customer. Before I retired, my employer's annual Nextel bill was just above $600,000, and we had excellent service and got things no consumer account would ever get I'm sure.

Reactions: campyguy

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
It doesn't really need to mention it as Verizon decided that they will no longer offer that plan to that customer and notified the customer of that and of the alternatives available to the customer.
okay thanks. I see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.