Verizon Wireless BT Crippling

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CompUser, Dec 30, 2005.

1. CompUser Guest

Everyone says that verizon cripples their BT phones. Well I found that not true (at least I think).

Today on my phone I turned on the BT and the BT on my pBook. I had them pair together. The phone asked for a Pin #. I did 0000, 1111, 2222, etc. Everytime it would say the number was invalid. When I got to 7777 it accepted the Pin #. Then on my powerbook it asked for a pin #. I typed in 7777 and then the two paired. It then showed the phones folders including audio, mixmedia, picture, rington,video, and vst. I took an MP3 and dragged it into the audio folder. I checked the "get tones" menu in my phone and it appeared there and played fine.

Is this a hack? Or are they charging me for transferring data w/o me knowing it?

Anyway, I've been able to transfer data using this method. Now that I have set up Pin #s it no longer asks for a them.

If you have a verizon phone with BT, try it. My phone is the V3c Razr with the Verizon OS on it.

2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

The V3c RAZR is the only, non business phone where VZW didn't cripple BT...

MY 2,005th POST (i.e., 68020 RANK!)

3. CompUser thread starter Guest

Oh, really. Where did they say that? I didn't tell me a pin # anywhere. I had to guess it.

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I believe Verizon had crippled BT in their phone offerings in the past, as they didn't want their customers to be able to forward their camera phone images and ringtones without going through their media messaging services (i.e. sending stuff to other people locally for free).

The pin number you talk of is the authentication number you choose during pairing right? Did you try something else, '1234' for example?

I would have thought that if Verizon had crippled the BT in this device, you wouldn't have the option to turn on BT.

... and I don't think they'd be able to charge you for the BT connection between your phone and laptop.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I thought the PIN number you are talking about was any number that you made up; it just prevented others near you from accessing your phone without that PIN number. :confused:

6. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

That's my understanding. I did a quick browse of Google to see if there were certain invalid PIN numbers, such as 0000, 1111, 2222, etc.. didn't spot anything.

Glad to hear it works though - nothing worse than a mobile phone without BT! (well other than providers who charge by the nearest whole minute - rather than per second) :)

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I can't afford that phone. :eek: Makes me mad though that Cingular customers can get it for free. :mad:

8. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I read it in a review in PCMag of this phone... :eek:

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Awwww, I know what you mean. :( I have T-Mobile and I want a pink RAZR V3. :(:(:( So I'm in the same boat. Maybe I'll have to settle for a black one from Cingular?

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

My e815 works perfectly with iSync via BT.

11. CompUser thread starter Guest

Alright. Thats awesome. Anyone know if the LG VX 8100 works with it?

12. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Oh this makes me excited... Ill be getting the V3c in ~25 days 18 hours:D (when the 2 year contract is up). So what do you have to do to set up the transfer again?

13. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

What cingular customers do you know that get it for free? It still costs $99 here in the midwest?

Edit: Never mind, I jsut saw the ad at the bottom of the screen. This is through a third party, not cingular. Not sure I trust it.

14. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

So anybody want to explain how to get that far?

15. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

I PMed you about that. I need helpp.