Verizon won't activate my iPhone 5 prepaid

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EhsanAhmad, Dec 3, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I bought a verizon iPhone 5 from the apple store at full price as I visiting and called verizon to have a prepaid plan activated on the iPhone 5 and the sales guy said I can't activate my iPhone 5 with verizon on a prepaid plan even though I paid the full price for the phone already he wanted me to signal for a contract which I can't because I don't have a bank account or SSN here is this for real ?

2. macrumors regular

Verizon doesn't do prepaid IPhones so yeah it is.

You'll have to go with s GSM provider such as Straight Talk or NET10.

3. macrumors 6502a

It will be a postpaid account but you will not be locked into a contract.

4. macrumors member

Well you wouldn't have to sign a contract since you already have a phone but you do need an SSN to sign up for service. Try doing AT&T prepaid or t-mobile I think the Verizon iPhone works on both

5. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, since VZW doesn't offer prepaid services on the iPhone. They also require SSN for signing up (not sure about SSN on prepaids though).

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry about the typos in the original post i was typing from my phone and half asleep, i was trying to get a verizon plan because of the 4G service i dont think any other networks will even give me good 3G, which other networks would be able to give out good internet speeds on the verizon iPhone 5 ?

7. macrumors 68020

No offense, but wouldn't you have called Verizon first to ensure they would/could provide you service before you bought a phone?

8. macrumors member

just make up a ssn,,, they have no way of checking...

9. macrumors newbie

Without a social you would have to pay a $400 security deposit and you would be on a regular postpaid account. The good news is after a year of not being late on a payment they pay you back plus like 3% interest.

10. macrumors 68040

...except that they use it for credit verification, so if it doesn't match up they won't give you service.

11. macrumors 68000

lulla01

Verizon does do prepaid on the iPhone, just the 4 and 4s are capable of working on their 80 dollars per month plan.

12. macrumors member

Um, what?!

Yes they do!! They run your SSN to check your credit, see how many lines you qualify for, etc.

13. macrumors regular

You can't get a postpaid acct without some sort of credit check (requires Ssn) or a deposit.

It doesn't matter if he is locked into a contract or not.

----------

Dumbest post so far today. Of course they check it.

----------

You would of thought so...considering how much a full price Iphone 5 costs.

14. macrumors 6502a

You can use an iPhone with PagePlus and they use the Verizon network. It's a prepaid carrier, so no problem if you don't have a SSN.

http://pageplusiphone.net/

15. macrumors 601

Overseas customers coming into the States find U.S. cellular carriers a convoluting exercise. This case in point. Somewhere else, the guys pays cash, even a debit card, DONE. SSN? WTF.

16. macrumors 6502

BigMcGuire

So where are all of the "What did you think, that the US Govt. doesn't track you?" posts? :p

Wouldn't iPhone 5 work with Metro PCS?

----------

And incredibly expensive. I remember getting 3g, 3000+ minutes, free incoming calls, .20/sol texts for $30? in Peru if I remember right.

17. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Lol what!? How do you think they do credit checks without a ssn?

18. thread starter macrumors newbie

and how do i get them to do that ? when i called them the sales people were very rude and when i told them i dont have a SSN he just said well call us back when you do have one and just hung up !

19. macrumors newbie

PM me. I can probably take care of it for you.

20. macrumors 65816

21. macrumors member

Can anyone confirm that the verizon iPhone 5 will work on LTE bands (1,3,5)?

22. macrumors 68040

23. macrumors regular

Verizon now does support the iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S on prepaid. This started rather recently. They do not support the iPhone 5 on prepaid, however. I don't think they support any 4G phones on prepaid yet.

24. macrumors 6502a

Prime85

If you want a prepaid iPhone 5 then I say return it to apple and buy the GSM to use with another network. You have 30 days from date of purchase.

25. macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

No different in some other countries such as South Korea.