Verizon won't activate my iPhone 5 prepaid

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EhsanAhmad, Dec 3, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Apr 11, 2009
    I bought a verizon iPhone 5 from the apple store at full price as I visiting and called verizon to have a prepaid plan activated on the iPhone 5 and the sales guy said I can't activate my iPhone 5 with verizon on a prepaid plan even though I paid the full price for the phone already he wanted me to signal for a contract which I can't because I don't have a bank account or SSN here is this for real ?
  2. macrumors 6502

Mar 24, 2012
    Verizon doesn't do prepaid IPhones so yeah it is.

You'll have to go with s GSM provider such as Straight Talk or NET10.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Feb 16, 2007
    It will be a postpaid account but you will not be locked into a contract.
  4. macrumors member

Dec 2, 2012
    Well you wouldn't have to sign a contract since you already have a phone but you do need an SSN to sign up for service. Try doing AT&T prepaid or t-mobile I think the Verizon iPhone works on both
  5. Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    Yup, since VZW doesn't offer prepaid services on the iPhone. They also require SSN for signing up (not sure about SSN on prepaids though).
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 11, 2009
    sorry about the typos in the original post i was typing from my phone and half asleep, i was trying to get a verizon plan because of the 4G service i dont think any other networks will even give me good 3G, which other networks would be able to give out good internet speeds on the verizon iPhone 5 ?
  7. macrumors 68020

Nov 15, 2011
    No offense, but wouldn't you have called Verizon first to ensure they would/could provide you service before you bought a phone?
  8. macrumors member

Feb 12, 2009
    SC, thank God
    just make up a ssn,,, they have no way of checking...
  9. macrumors newbie

Jul 11, 2010
    Without a social you would have to pay a $400 security deposit and you would be on a regular postpaid account. The good news is after a year of not being late on a payment they pay you back plus like 3% interest.
  10. macrumors 601

Jul 11, 2009
    ...except that they use it for credit verification, so if it doesn't match up they won't give you service.
  11. macrumors 68000

Jul 13, 2007
    Verizon does do prepaid on the iPhone, just the 4 and 4s are capable of working on their 80 dollars per month plan.
  12. macrumors member

Dec 2, 2012
    Um, what?!

Yes they do!! They run your SSN to check your credit, see how many lines you qualify for, etc.
  13. macrumors 6502

Mar 24, 2012
    You can't get a postpaid acct without some sort of credit check (requires Ssn) or a deposit.

It doesn't matter if he is locked into a contract or not.

Dumbest post so far today. Of course they check it.

You would of thought so...considering how much a full price Iphone 5 costs.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Mar 24, 2011
    You can use an iPhone with PagePlus and they use the Verizon network. It's a prepaid carrier, so no problem if you don't have a SSN.
  15. macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012
    Overseas customers coming into the States find U.S. cellular carriers a convoluting exercise. This case in point. Somewhere else, the guys pays cash, even a debit card, DONE. SSN? WTF.
  16. macrumors 6502a

Jan 10, 2012
    So where are all of the "What did you think, that the US Govt. doesn't track you?" posts? :p

Wouldn't iPhone 5 work with Metro PCS?

And incredibly expensive. I remember getting 3g, 3000+ minutes, free incoming calls, .20/sol texts for $30? in Peru if I remember right.
  17. macrumors 68040

Jul 7, 2010
    Bay Area
    Lol what!? How do you think they do credit checks without a ssn?
  18. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 11, 2009
    and how do i get them to do that ? when i called them the sales people were very rude and when i told them i dont have a SSN he just said well call us back when you do have one and just hung up !
  19. macrumors newbie

Jul 11, 2010
    PM me. I can probably take care of it for you.
  20. macrumors 65816

Nov 16, 2011
  21. macrumors member

Apr 10, 2012
    Can anyone confirm that the verizon iPhone 5 will work on LTE bands (1,3,5)?
  22. macrumors 601

Jul 11, 2009
  23. macrumors regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Verizon now does support the iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S on prepaid. This started rather recently. They do not support the iPhone 5 on prepaid, however. I don't think they support any 4G phones on prepaid yet.
  24. macrumors 6502a

Mar 1, 2012
    If you want a prepaid iPhone 5 then I say return it to apple and buy the GSM to use with another network. You have 30 days from date of purchase.
  25. macrumors 6502a

Sep 30, 2008
    Dallas Metroplex
    No different in some other countries such as South Korea.