Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
It clearly depends on people's usage habits. I am on a 500 meg a month plan and I was afraid I'd go over in no time, but it seems like I use around 250 megs a month on average. I'm currently one week into my monthly billing cycle and I've used 69 megs, which extrapolates to about 275-300 megs per month.

"Oh, he clearly doesn't use his iPhone much", you're thinking. But I do... I check Gmail, Twitter and Facebook practically every 10 minutes, day in and day out. I surf the web a bit, I use Google Maps. I buy and download new apps. I watch occasional YouTube videos, but not many.

300 megs seems to go a long way on an iPhone.
I have no doubt about your usage even with your habits. I am on the other spectrum.

I rarely stream music, only really stream Netflix on my Wifi, and just use email hourly and other in-phone features such as browsing, iPad, etc....

Yet, I seem to come upon the 2gb limit (I have unlimited but mean I come upon 2gb's in general) just about every month including going over often.

How? I have no clue...maybe it is because I email so much, browse a good bit, and/or stream some music.

lilcosco08

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2010
Dayton
So glad I made the decision to get the iPhone with unlimited data while I could. I'd rather have the iPhone4 with unlimited than the 4S or 5 (whatever you want to call it) with a monthly limit.

Palm pixi plus no contract

Now I get the i5 with unlimited data :D

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I wish they would just do a flat price/GB. If $10/GB is going to be their rate then go for it. Charging $x for this and $y for that unless this is just confusing for customers. If they keep it simple and appear fair, customers are much more likely to be okay with metered data.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
Why doesnt everyone just put a Straight Talk SIM card into their iPhones?
$45 unlimited talk/text & web

http://www.straighttalk.com/ServicePlans

From reading thru the various info on that site, their "unlimited data" plan does not appear to be the same thing as what AT&T and VZ are offering. It sounds like you have unlimited access to limited web services. I'm not sure that you're gonna be streaming Netflix to your iPhone.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Palm pixi plus no contract

Now I get the i5 with unlimited data :D

I was thinking about going down that route back in April, but I decided I couldn't hold out until September :eek: I had been waiting for the iPhone to come on Verizon for way too long.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
This is awful. At least AT&T were semi decent with the 200 MB plan (Wish it was 250 MB though).

As for Verizon, 75 is not enough enough, 1 GB is an overkill for casual users.

Just like cable, that's how they make their money; selling you excessive plans that you don't need. 100,000 night and weekend minutes everyone!

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Why would you not get the $10 plan over the $30 plan? For $10 you get 75 MB, each GB over is $10. Say you use 2 extra gigabytes, you then pay $30 for the month and get 2.075 GB of data, slightly more for the same price as the 2 GB plan, and you pay less in the event you don't use that much data!!! I wonder if they will charge more for phones on the $10 plan?

If they want to force caps because of "power users who hog bandwidth", fine. Give us an advantageous tier pricing with FREE tethering. Its completely ridiculous why we cant use our FINITE data in any means allowable.

Its like if Starbucks charged more for a bigger straw...my cup has the same amount of iced coffee regardless.

Im also afraid that folks with Grandfathered data plans may loose them upon device upgrade (from some speculation I've read).

Oh, what I'd give for an iPhone that didnt require a data plan...instead pay per month data, if I want it (ala iPad Wifi + 3G). I heard that the new unlocked phones still require a data plan.

nickjf20

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
Glad I live in the UK !

£10 a month, Unlimited Texts, Unlimited internet and 200 minutes.

No iPhone though I suppose ... HTC Touch 2 instead which can act as a wi-fi router to my iPod Touch :D

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
If you have ever lived in a 3rd world country, this will be like going back.

We are going backwards.

Nobody likes this except the greedy b@stards at the companies who dish out ridiculous bonuses to the top @ssh0l3s who comes up with this crap.

The company who decides to sustain unlimited data will win in the end and get my money the right way

The only people complaining about this are the people that ruin the network streaming videos 24/7 using over 5GB a month, lol. We don't want them on the network anyway! Haha. Most decent users use under 1GB unless there is no WIFI anywhere you go.

IMO, its the pay-out-the-ass while smiling customer's that we dont want on our networks. They give the providers weird perceptions of entitlement;)

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
Thank goodness for Verizon FIOS.

Time Warner doesn't cap their Road Runner Turbo either, but where I live we do not have FiOS or U-verse available.

I'm thrilled I took the dive and jumped to the iPhone 4 now. The only downfall I can possibly see, Verizon will tire of these "grandfathered" plans in a few years and try to be sneaking with upgrades. To be safe, just pay full price for your iPhones in the future. I know, it's crazy, but the cell phone companies are looking for easy money right now and they'll do whatever it takes to get it.

But, I don't think they're going to pull the upgrade trick to get people off the unlimited plans. We'll see what happens in a few years from now.

cphirman

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
There seems to be some confusion here. The $10 option is only for feature phones. The lowest option you can get on a smartphone like the iPhone or an Android is the 2GB/$30 plan. There is no savings for people who use less, like there is with ATT's plans.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
$50 for 4GB of data for tethered plans.

stop your whining and give me your money: go aapl :D
JohnG

fahadqureshi

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2009
Houston, TX
ISPs already do it ...
Comcast's cap is 250GB and AT&T U-verse is like 180GB (or something like that).

I hope Sprint doesn't do data caps ... that's why many people are with them. If they chose to be as greedy as AT&T/Verizon, they're going to lose customers. Sprint is known for not raping your wallet, so they should keep it that way.

really? i was not aware of a cap on Uverse service.

edit: nvm found it http://www.att.com/esupport/internet/usage.jsp

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
Glad I live in the UK !

£10 a month, Unlimited Texts, Unlimited internet and 200 minutes.

No iPhone though I suppose ... HTC Touch 2 instead which can act as a wi-fi router to my iPod Touch :D

As much as I hate this country I can't deny the price of our contracts are pretty awesome :D

something3153

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
How again is a grandmother who wants to watch several Netflix HD shows in a month....an abuser? Can someone explain that to me?

Grandma should have wifi at home and be streaming over that. It's what I do. I barely touch data.

Further, streaming HD video over the cell network uses a LOT of data. Phrasing it as "I just want to watch a couple TV shows in the gym" or the countless variants of that I've seen doesn't make it less bandwidth-intensive. Those doing that SHOULD pay considerably more than I do. Maybe if they actually feel the effect of all that data consumption they'll be more careful about using wifi, the cell network will be less congested, and everyone will be happier.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
Grandma should have wifi at home and be streaming over that. It's what I do. I barely touch data.

Further, streaming HD video over the cell network uses a LOT of data. Phrasing it as "I just want to watch a couple TV shows in the gym" or the countless variants of that I've seen doesn't make it less bandwidth-intensive. Those doing that SHOULD pay considerably more than I do. Maybe if they actually feel the effect of all that data consumption they'll be more careful about using wifi, the cell network will be less congested, and everyone will be happier.

I agree. Watching HD videos on a 4" display (I don't care how good the resolution is) is akin to hunting quail with a howitzer; it works and you can do it, but its not really necessary. I could understand streaming HD on an iPad, but I still don't think I'd be trying to do it often over 3G. Hell I sometimes have trouble streaming SD videos at times.

Technology is evolving at a rate that is almost impossible for mobile data/cell providers to keep up with, especially when combined with the influx of smartphone and netbook/pad users over the past five years. I'm not trying to say that AT&T & VZ are angels, but I certainly understand their predicament. Unlimited plans cannot reasonably exist in the ever growing world of high-bandwidth mobile media content. If for no other reason then to curb the usage of folks who insist on obliterating the data buffet.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Everyone calm down right now. This forum is quickly turning into the biggest b*tch fest I've ever seen.

This was the quote from the MacRumors article that I based my whole post around:

Verizon spokeswoman Brenda Raney told FierceWireless that new smartphone customers will choose from one of four options: $10 for 75 MB per month, $30 for 2 GB, $50 for 5 GB or $80 for 10 GB. There will be an overage charge of $10 per GB of data. AT&T Mobility charges $15 per month for 200 MB and $25 per month for 2 GB.

So the original article must have been updated, as it now reads "choose from one of three options: $30 for 2 GB, $50 for 5 GB or $80 for 10 GB."

So now the $10 plan is only for feature phones, but the old quote says that "choose from one of four options: $10 for 75 MB per month, $30 for 2 GB, $50 for 5 GB or $80 for 10 GB."

So the original article was EDITED. Not my fault.

Absolutely FALSE. These prices are astronomically high.

They aren't astronomically high, but still high, especially given that there is now no low-end option with overage charges, as we were originally led to believe. You would think Verizon would want to bring in some lower-end customers, but apparently they feel confident in their position.

SERIOUSLY. Check your facts online. The 75MB plan does not work on smartphones like the iPhone. To be clear - the 75MB plan is for featurephones only.

I have now checked my facts, and MacRumors needs to check their facts because the original article, as stated above, must have been edited. I'm sorry that I don't have all day to check facts, as I have actual work to get done. MacRumors is usually accurate enough that I don't need to research every one of their articles so that internet trolls like you will pounce all over my comments.

This may be true today, but with the LTE rollout and continued introduction of video services (see: Netflix on Android phones with HDMI output), these caps will quickly become crippling.

Don't forget the iCloud. I think $20 for 2GB and $30 for 4GB seems more reasonable, with perhaps an unlimited option around $45.

Where do you get such crap? Seriously, explain to me HOW people going over are automatic streaming 24/7, etc...? Why do people keep exaggerating to such a thing when making a statement.

As shown by NUMEROUS posters here, people don't stream even REMOTELY 24/7 and hit the limit easily. With apps, products, etc....going online, data usage is CONTINUING to sky-rocket and those using GB's are increasing hourly.

How again is a grandmother who wants to watch several Netflix HD shows in a month....an abuser? Can someone explain that to me?

We have people on here claiming to use HUNDREDS of GB's per month....and then we have people using 10-15 and somehow being lumped in with them.

The actual people hitting HUNDREDS of GB's is low....but the actual number of people using multiple GB's and more is growing insanely in todays world.

So, no, those hitting the limit are not even remotely "24/7 streaming users" or even "abusers"

Well, I got this alleged "crap" from the article stating decent plans if you start out on the low end, but that's no longer true as the original article was edited. I'm an extremely heavy user and never come close to these figures, so I have no idea what you're talking about. Even when I had a tethering plan before switching back to unlimited on AT&T I was still below 2GB, or half of my available usage. Do that many people go out and stream NetFlix when they're on 3G? I prefer to enjoy movies at home, and the iPhone screen is pretty small for watching anything other than a YouTube video. I prefer either my HDTV or snug in bed with my wife on my iPad 2. In addition, I don't know of many grandmas that have such an active lifestyle that they are out and about streaming HD video movie content to their smart phone. I doubt half of them even have a phone that can play a video. You can talk about numerous posters all you want, but AT&T posted figures from their network, via AppleInsider:

AT&T will also offer a less expensive data plan, called "DataPlus," which offers 200MB for $15 per month. The carrier noted in its press release that 65 percent of its smartphone customers use less than 200MB per month, while 98 percent use less than 2GB per month.

I doubt AT&T just makes up those figures, despite what the conspiracy theorists in the crowd would like to think. They are a publicly traded company and can't go around making up blatant lies without serious repercussions. Sure, I'll agree that there are numerous people hitting the cap, but this is an enthusiast site. You're not average. Get over it.

IMO, its the pay-out-the-ass while smiling customer's that we dont want on our networks. They give the providers weird perceptions of entitlement;)

No, it's the data-hogging abusers that we don't want on our networks, as they are the reason that I can't even make a fracking phone call on AT&T half the time. And honestly, I think the reason Verizon set their pricing this way is so that all the data-hogging abusers on AT&T don't all come over when their contracts expire. Verizon doesn't want to end up with a crippled network.

All this being said, the thing that everyone needs to realize is that there is now competition in the U.S. for the iPhone. I doubt it will be long before Sprint and T-Mobile (although maybe via AT&T) get their paws on the device and setup perhaps more competitive plans. If Verizon doesn't gain any market share back from AT&T, you can bet that they will adjust their prices. If these are too high, then stay with AT&T. But you also have to realize that most people think Verizon has a superior network, and perhaps maybe, just maybe that requires a premium to keep it in good shape?

If people should complain about anything, complain about the ridiculous rates for texting plans. I'm going to be cancelling mine once iOS 5 launches. Most of my friends have iPhones, and I've been having fun playing with the new messaging system in iOS 5 so far, but only with a couple other friends who also have developer builds.

Lastly, I'm interested to see what happens on the shared data plan front, but based on what I've seen today, I doubt we will be very happy about it. I'm likely to keep my AT&T plan for now as it's cheaper (with FAN discount) and unlimited. Plus my wife wants an iPhone and won't use anywhere near 2GB. 200mb is fine for her. That's the breaking point on the Verizon plan for me. No low-end option at all for someone like my wife who would only check her work email, weather, and the occasional driving directions when out and about. Where are the plans for those users, Verizon? I think that is their biggest mistake, and apparently John Gruber agrees with much of what I've said:

“Unlimited” hasn’t worked for the carriers, and has never truly meant unlimited anyway. If you use more than 2 GB per month you’re going to pay more, but this strikes me as fair, because most people don’t use that much data.

What I don’t get is why not offer everyone the $10 for 75 MB plan? Lower the monthly minimum and get more people to switch from feature phones to app phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.