Vermont's Call to action

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Royal Pineapple, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/3/1/235828/9378

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

something shiny and distracting, i expect.

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    "What's that? Them damn Chinese are mobilizing WMD's?!?!??!?! Why, let's send every available soldier over there right now!"

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What happens? Probably nothing, I guess. The House has no obligation to take up Vermont's complaint...and being primarily Republican, it likely won't.

Now if a few other bodies, emboldened by this action, were to jump on the bandwagon, it could get interesting. Still not likely...but interesting nonetheless.

6. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Unfortunately, two things. Nothing, or nothing.

With the House under Republican control and totally loyal to der President, there's no way they'd ever impeach him.

Also, if this motion peaks too soon (before the election) it will falter, for the reasons above and because the Republicans will accuse the Democrats of wanting a "revenge" impeachment. Which they do, but the revenge factor will outweigh the criminal activity factor in Rove's talking points.

The only chance of this happening is if the Democrats win the House and Senate in November. This election cycle would be a long shot in the best of times. With the Democrats consistently caving on important legislation and appointments, sending mixed messages about the war and presidential powers and generally being about as effective in Washington as a small quiche, I see no chance of this happening.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmm... the charge of 'revenge impeachment' didn't stick when Democrats accused Republicans of wanting to avenge Nixon's (almost) impeachment via Clenis...

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't know. It almost worked with Clinton. People hate GW way more than they dislike Clinton. I don't see it happening now, but judging by recent trends in the polls, it might actually help the Dems as the primary complaint against them is that they don't actually fight or do anything other than whine.

Of course, knowing them, they probably won't do anything about it before the elections, proving the axiom.

9. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

California and Illinois have also introduced legislation aimed at compelling the House of Representatives to hold impeachment hearings.

Link.

As Jefferson's Manual is used to supplement House rules, it seems something could potentially come of this. According to House rules ...

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

currently shiny objects: iran and gas prices.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is what I was talking about. If this thing picks up some momentum -- a sort of bandwagon effect, with more states piling on -- then who knows how much pressure might be brought to bear on the U.S. House?

I can't see any red states, and even purple states like Ohio, jumping on this bandwagon, but even if it comes to nothing, it'll still be several more body-blows to an administration that is already on the ropes.

And it's just possible that the Ultimate Republican Nightmare could happen -- that this movement gains strength and peaks later this year, with the Democrats simultaneously regaining the House. If something like that happens, then all bets are off, and we may yet see Bush on trial.

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Impeachment inevitable?

Not really inevitable but a possible scenario for GOP impeachment.

Here's a theory, heard the tale end of a radio call in (Air America so admittedly biased)

If it looks like the Dems could take the congress they GOP impeaches Bush and Cheney to put the GOP speaker of the house in rather than let the Dems have a shot at the presidency.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The only way this would happen is if Bush bombs Iran or something. Even then. I don't see the Dems doing it either, even if they conquer both the House and Senate. Just because they're in charge, doesn't actually mean they'll take charge.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If the Democrats do manage to take control of one or both houses of Congress, I'd be much more interested in seeing them begin holding hearings on some of the issues the Republicans have sandbagged for the last five years, than move on impeachment.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That you might see. Dems do love their committees. I just hope it actually does some good if they do.

16. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

That's a big if ;)

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You don't think they will? We don't even like them and we're going to vote for them. We just hate the Republican machine that much. I doubt they will sweep the elections, but based on recent polls, unless their opponents pull a magic rabbit or 2 out of their hats, the swing states could swing back the other direction. Not saying that's a good thing, but it can't be a bad thing based on what's been going on in Washington lately. I'd hope. Even liberals don't like the Dems much, they just really don't like the other side, and the moderates are starting to join them.

Or do you think the Reps will keep their power forever? Because they've done such a good job of it lately. I mean, come on, it took the Dems decades to become this fat, lazy, and corrupt. :p

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Surely the Republicans have earned the right to rule forever. I mean govern. No, I mean rule. And no doubt they will, so long as they continue to blame their failures on the Democrats.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

However, people are getting tired of that M.O.

20. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I just found this site. It lists state actions on impeaching Bush and where in the process they are. So far they have 14 states listed as being (or starting) in the process of passing resolutions.