Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Adobe help is, well, no help in finding how to do vertical type in InDesign. Illustrator has the Vertical Type tool, so what's the equivalent in InDesign?

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Picture5.jpg

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
idk how to do that in InDesign, but i do know that it's always hard to read and considered bad design practice for that very reason. sorry...guess i didn't ad a whole lot of help.

-JE

Exactly why I want to use it. I guess I can just type what I need in Illustrator and import the image into InDesign. Seems like a lousy workaround to have to use in a layout program.

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
InDesign has a vertical type feature, but just not in the American Version. If you want to have vertical type, you need to buy the middle eastern edition of InDesign.

mbrellisford

macrumors member
May 29, 2007
Canada
Depends on what kind of flexibility your looking for too. Not too sure how editable verticle text is after you import it from Illustrator to InDesign. If it is just for a simple word or two it may be easier just to do text with line breaks instead of going through the trouble of exporting/importing etc.

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
For your sample vertical text along line I suggest (like first poster) just rotating the text box using the rotate tool. For the other sample, you could use a table, or tabbed text.

If you opt for importing from Illustrator, it will be updated in ID anyway so won´t be too much of a hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.