vertualPC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alev, Oct 19, 2006.

1. alev macrumors newbie

Hi
    I need some help.
    I have iMac os9 in window eviroment
    I am looking for a vertual pc 6.0 I have a copy of 6.2 but it is update and with out 6.0 I cannot install and I cannot fint satand alone copy of 6.2 , so wer did not required updates.

If any one know where to fing or download you help appreciated

Sincerely

alev

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Downloading would be illegal.

BTW, it's Virtual PC.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's not illegal if he buys it...there's a full version with Windows 2K available at Amazon for $245.

It's very hard to find, since it's a four-year old product from a company that doesn't exist anymore. If you have your copy of Windows already, I think the basic version went for something like $120, but I didn't have any luck finding one anywhere in a couple minutes of searching.

Edit:
    Well there you go...I thought it should be on eBay, but I must have mistyped it, since I didn't get anything.

4. alev thread starter macrumors newbie

same here

I am new to mac and what I have find ( may be I am not corect) it has ben made free...
    correct me if I am worng..

I am testing DAVE now and it work butiful however I have problems with printers , I cannot setup network printing

Thanx

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Sorry, you are wrong.

Microsoft made VirtualPC for WINDOWS free..
    VirtualPC for Mac still costs $.

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Geez I didn't even know that still existed. Isn't that only for OS 9?

7. alev thread starter macrumors newbie

So
    Vertual pc will be installedon the mac and the you need toinstall window over it?
    I look on ebay and the sell with the windows

I have xp abd 2k are this not sam OS?

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Virtual PC is a program that lets you very slowly emulate a simulated PC environment on your Mac, upon which you have to install Windows, just as if you were using an actual PC. It does this by translating the PC Intel instructions over to PowerPC as you are using it, thus the slowness.

No, they aren't.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

VirtualPC enables you to run Windows within the confines of the Mac OS. It emulates x86 hardware and as such is exceedingly slow. If you're running OS9 on an iMac I would assume it's a G3 iMac and as such would struggle to run anything more recent than Windows 98 and even then it would be slow.

PS, your posts are very difficult to understand, if you're not a native english speaker then fine but if you are, please make some effort - you'll get better information that way.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No, they are not the same OS.
    Yes, they are the same OS.

Confused?

XP is technically "Windows2000++", meaning it's repackaged Win2k with new UI and better support for USB and wireless support and crap, yawn, etc, whatever.. But with this repackaging, the OS bloat is also increased, as have the overhead required to run.

What does this mean to you and VPC?

I think you will find that XP is horribly, horribly, horribly, horribly slow through VirtualPC (especially in OS9), whereas Win2k is just horribly, horribly slow.

Just remember, VPC is a hardware emulator and it emulates a PentiumII and doesn't do ANY 3D graphics. So unless you're trying to just do simple things in it, you're in for disappointment.

more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_PC

11. alev thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I got it...
    so this will not solve my problem

May be you can advise me how to solve my porblem.
    Here is a problem......
    I have a windows network and just got a IMAC for my graphik designer .
    It took us a little while but we finaly beable to conect IMAC to our window network by using test version of DAVE..however we still have a problem.
    We have 4 Printers and they are connected to mininprint-servers and used as a network printes ,they are all shared on every workstation, but problem is that Imac do not see them.
    I have pirnters driver for this version of IMac and after communucation with DAVE helpdesk I am looking to any one to help us resolve the issue with the printers..

Oh the window network is mixed of 2000 serevers and winXP Pro and 2000 workstatios
    IMac is v9.2

We appreciate anny help

12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Sadly, I'm not sure how to sole your problem, as I've never had to do this.

I just want to mention that the proper spellings are "iMac" (lower case "i") and "Windows" (pluralized).

You will probably have better luck if you could manage to update to Mac OS X.

13. macrobat macrumors regular

since your making corrections, (solve not sole) ;)

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's very difficult to understand what you are asking.

That being said, why did you get an iMac that's ~6 years old when it would have been more cost-effective and easier to use your networked printers with a newer Mac running OSX?

15. alev thread starter macrumors newbie

You all so hanged up on spelling
    I ask simple tecnical questions and if the have been windows or lynux i would not need to bother anyon of you, however it is a iMac ( if that how you want this spell) I would by this if I did not need for my graphik person...
    And to answer of cost effectiveness I do not spen money on stuff I am not confortuble with, I will sepnd time with this box and we will com up with solutuon, then I will by new and new os..

Thanx for you help
    some stuff finanly strt make sence

And if my English is not good anif for some of you I can help it

My stuff and my clientel have no problem underfstanding me ( in English)

BY

16. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you I just wanted to make sure you were spelling iMac and Windows right for future reference!

17. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

no offense alev, but could you please just re-read whatever you type. i'm not saying i'm the best typer or speller, but some of the things you are typing are just painful to read. i do it with almost every post i make, i just re-read my posts, and find TONS of errors. so just a heads up.

edit: didn't see post #16. but the tip should be taken anyway.

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

1) Just as a clarification: There's no such thing as a "windows network". A network is a network, all packets are UDP/TCP/ICMP. It doesn't matter if there's Macs, Windows, Linux, Solaris, BSD, blah blah..

DAVE should NOT have been required to connect to your network. If properly configured the Mac should have picked up a DHCP address easily, or if you use static IPs, it's also easily set up.

That being said:

So.. the issue you appear to be having is with printing. Are these printers stand alone network printers, or are they USB-types being shared from PCs?