very basic Wireless question - how do i get it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ero87, Nov 26, 2006.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

Jan 17, 2006
    New York City
    Hi, I've never set up a wireless network so excuse my naivete.

I want to set up a wireless network at my house. How do I do so? Do I buy an Airport Express, is that what that does? Is there one apple product that will easily solve this for me? Also, it'd be nice if some PCs (and a Wii!) in the house could connect to the wireless - does that matter?

2. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
    How do you connect to the internet now? depends on that, but your set up should be simple.
  3. rmarasa macrumors member

Aug 14, 2006
    London, UK
    Yes, an Airport Express will do what you want. You'll connect it up to your existing cable or DSL modem, and then it will provide the wireless connections you need (assuming your PC's and Wii have wireless capabilities too). It does not matter that they are not Apple products. Wireless is wireless.
  4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    There are cheaper wireless routers, that will work fine with a Mac and the PC's, though the Airport Express is probably the easiest to setup.

Also make sure as long all you computers are running OS X or Windows XP (or Vista) to enable WPA security as it is better. The Wii is compatable with WPA too.
  5. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2004
    Isn't Airport Express just a wireless network extender? You want a wireless router. For this you need to have a High Speed (DSL, cable) internet service. Then just get any sort of wireless router--it should support at least b and g. The Linksys WRT54G is a popular choice.

Apple also has the Airport Extreme (wireless router), but that's overpriced.
  6. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Oct 27, 2006
    Steve1496 waves the caution flag, and he is right. The Express can extend an existing wireless network or it can be a wireless router. But it can't do both and it can't handle wireless and cabled functions simultaneously.

Get the Apple Extreme basestation (or Netgear or Linksys) connect it to your cable/DSL modem. Get a nice cheap hub if you have lots of cabled devices, then you will have both wireless and cabled connectivity.
  7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    The Express is by far the easiest to set up but you won't be able to have a "wired" computer, they will all have to connect wirelessly.