Very basic wireless question? What do I ...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bchalker, Apr 3, 2002.

1. bchalker macrumors newbie

What do I need to access my cable modem anywhere in my house from my Powerbook (Pismo)?

I do not have, and have no plans of getting, a second computer. I just want to access the web from my couch or bed...

I know I can get an Airport base and Airport card to do this, but the base is out of my budget. Are there any other alternatives to the Airport base? Getting the Airport card is no problem.

Thanks in advance :)

bchalker

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I bought a Linksys 4 port wireless dsl/cable router for under $200. It works great and I have 3 machines on it. Look around, you might be able to get a better deal now and get it at about half the price of an AirPort basestation.

Good luck.

3. bchalker thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the info.

So all I need is a Mac-compatible wireless router? No gateway or anything?

4. iGav macrumors G3

Or if you're really on a budget

You can do what I did and get a 9m phone cable extension from any electrical superstore.........:p

9m and 360 degress of freedom!!!:p

Actually I need to get wireless..... cables are a pain in the ****:D But I'll have to wait until I get my new flat to do that!!!:(

5. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I can't wait to have everything wireless (apart from changeing the bloody power cells!)

I currently have wireless network (Airport) wireless sound (Infrared Headphones) but wires to my soundsticks/isub.

now then, wireless power, anyone fancy inventing it?

Ensign

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Actually, its already been done. The company I work for has a lab that we demonstrate the tech, although not recently. There are some issues with power beaming that make it not ready for prime time.

Basically its shooting microwaves from a dish to some specially designed diode receptors. It has a great potential for space applications, beaming energy from satellites to the space station and even to earth. But thats where the problem comes in. You DO NOT want to get between the dish and the receiver (actually there is a clip from the new StarWars trailer where they fly through power couplings). Its basically like a microwave oven beam.

Imagine a satellite taking solar energy and beaming it to earth, and oops, something goes wrong and the beam goes off course, right through the popcorn isle at the local grocery store......

Anyone ever see that 80's movie Real Genius?

7. iGav macrumors G3

Jesus......

This technology exists????:confused:

Wireless Popcorn maker.... how cool!!!! :D

8. Quark macrumors regular

From MacGo.net - Belkin

1st, a Router=Gateway=Firewall, not many people understand that -- but, you could also get Firewall software to monitor different types of attacks.

I have a cable-modem and it is wired directly into the Airport BaseStation - that's all you need to do.

2nd, I've been talking with Michael over at MacGo and he is doing basically the same thing as you are.

He has researched it and found the Belkin "Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router F5D6230-3" does what you need for about 1/2 the price and it has a couple of extra "wired" ports, should you need them.

Good luck!

Quark