Very bizarre problem with FireFox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ozone, Apr 28, 2006.

1. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

I have a really odd problem with Firefox. I was cleaning up the browser and decided to "clear all private data". I've used it before and there were no problems. Except this time, Firefox bombed out on me and I had to force-quite. It happened repeated times. So, I figured I might as well trash Firefox and do a fresh install.

Oddly enough, all my bookmarks were still there in the new install - is something from the program still hanging around? I'm still new to the Mac OSX. And then, if I open Firefox, all the tabbed options (preferences, advanced, etc.) work EXCEPT for the "privacy" tab. It bombs out. So, it just seems to be the functions related to cache, history, etc. that don't work.

So, does anyone know what is going on, and if not, is there a way to COMPLETELY delete a program (I thought trashing it was supposed to do it on a Mac)?

Thanks.

2. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Firefox stores all the user data in /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Firefox.

Inside there you'll find a few folders and once you get into your profile you should see a file called bookmarks.html - you'll want to keep that.

What I would suggest you do is rename the Firefox folder to Firefox.bak. That way it'll start with a fresh profile and you can copy your bookmarks over from your old profile.

Hope this makes sense.

3. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Well, not quite. App preferences are still stored in other folders as .plist files. These files are usually 2-4 KB in space and are negligable, so usually people don't delete them. (Also, if they reinstall the app, their preferences are still there!) If you want to delete them, do a Spotlight search for Firefox. When you see "org.mozilla.firefox.plist" (That's what mine's called anyway), delete that. Then uninstall and reinstall Firefox. You should be good after that. :)

Edit: Never mind, follow Patrick's advice. He beat me to it and his is much better ;)

4. ozone thread starter macrumors 6502

ozone

Thanks Pat! Works fine now.