I ordered a 1.6GHz G5 from the Australian Apple Store on the 10th of July. The estimated shipping date was 'On or before 09/01/2003'. It's now the 22nd of September, and still no sign of the thing shipping. Several calls to Apple have yielded nothing more than continuarlly shifting promises of 'It'll ship in a few days', or 'next week at the latest!'. This is getting very frustrating, especially seeing as a number of Sydney Apple retailers have ample 1.6 and 1.8 G5 systems in stock at the moment...I could literally walk into a store and walk out with a new 1.6 G5 under my arm with no wait. Does anyone have any advice on what to pursue next? Should I attempt to cancel my order at the Apple Store? The terms and conditions for the Australian Apple Store state that if any order has not shipped within 30 days of the 'Order Confirmed' notice being issued, then the purchaser is entitled to a full refund. I'm worried that the longer I get strung along by Apple (and it could be weeks more...they're already 3 weeks past their estimated shipping date, without explanation), the closer we all get to Rev B G5s, and speed bumps. What was the point of ordering so early if I have to wait weeks longer than retail customers? Any advice, or tips on how to speed Apple along from anyone who has been in this situation with the Apple Store (particularly the Australian one) would be appreciated. Cheers, Mat.