Very Frustrated

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pianodude123, Aug 4, 2006.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Hello.

I am using Final Cut Express to edit some footage, and whenever I apply a simple transition, and play it back in the canvas, a messagepops up saying some frames were dropped. I hit the ignore button and continued working. this does this for practically every transition I apply! Isnt this machine supposed to be the ultimate editing machine!?!?!?! It is sitting here frozen right now and I will probably end up having to force quit an loose all of my progress...!!!

ARGHHhhjhhh

Its times like these when there is practically no advantage to switching.

:(

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Are you using the appropriate project and sequence settings for the type of video format you are editing? For example, if you are editing NTSC DV footage you captured from your camera your project should be an NTSC DV project and your sequence should be an NTSC DV sequence.

Have you had this problem before or is it new?

Is the media you are editing w/store on your system drive or on a separate, dedicated drive? If it's on your system drive that might be the problem (especially if the drive is near full). If at all possible you want to keep your media files on a separate drive from your OS and other programs.

Lethal

3. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

The video is stored on the hard drive that the system is on...

I dont see how that would make much of a difference though...all of the settings are correct, and I have 100% RAM usage enabled.

4. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

Does anyone know if FCE has the option to switch between Safe and Unlimited RT? If so, then that's probably your problem. You should be on unlimited RT.

Are you doing this on the PowerMac in your sig? Man, this really shouldn't be happening. Especially with all that RAM!

5. Lebowski macrumors 6502

im guessing thats the problem right there. any time i have used footage stored on the system drive, i get dropped frames. you should always capture to a seperate scratch disc.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Is this a new problem or have you encountered it before?

What transition are you applying (probably should've asked this first)? If FCE is like FCP then transitions/fx in bold should be realtime and ones not in bold will need to be rendered.

Having the media files and programs on the same HDD can 'cause the HDD to get overworked and the result will be dropped frames.

I just reread your OP. How often does it freeze up? New problem or old? When was the last time you repaired permissions?

Lethal

7. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Is the Freezing at the same time as the dropped frame? what were you doing as the freeze happened?

I have had issues with wacom tablet causing FCP to Freeze up when using a Pen to move the sliders & Jog wheel on the view window.