Very funny comment from friend about Opera

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jc0481, Jul 26, 2005.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

This is unfortunately on a pc that I will be talking about. I have 1300 dollars saved and looking for 1600 to purchase a new mac either a iMac G5 or used powerbook not sure yet. An old friend came over to my house, wanted to look something up on Ebay and said what browser is this?? I said Opera. I told him all the benefits of using it and he's comments were interesting. Later on he tells me make sure you don't have any spyware on that program and most sites are optimized for Internet Explorer. I couldn't help but smile but I was laughing inside. Then I showed him www.secunia.com which tracks security from diffrent products including browsers and showed him the security track record from Opera compared to the other browsers and he said interesting again. What do you guys think? Funny right.

2. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

It's just a common perception from people that see something they have never used or heard of.

3. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Thank you.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ditto, not so funny, but its just that people believe what they are told all to often. people don't go out looking for other options and they don't think for themselves some times. IE is there, most people use Windows, so IE just be the best right? thats the line of thinking that most people will use.... sucks doesnt it?

6. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I don't even know if there was a period in that paragraph.

I personally think I would have understood better if he would have been more careful with his grammar.

(sorry if English isn't your first language jc0481 I didn't mean to insult you).

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*shrug* Not that funny to me either. Using MSIE is sad, but even if Opera were free, I'm not sure it'd attract much of a market share, outside of a few niche applications where it's a great product. Why not just go to FF which *is* free, has wider support, and a much larger developer community?

8. Mr.Hostility macrumors newbie

Mr.Hostility

Truth.