Very Hot iMac!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lonestriker, Dec 22, 2006.

1. lonestriker macrumors newbie

lonestriker

Hello everyone,

Last night I was running Windows XP downloading the demo of Battlefield 2142 onto my iMac (17", 1GB.) Adjusting the screen angle, I felt that the iMac was very hot at the back on the top left hand-side. I was wondering if this is normal? (XP was probably on for about 2 hours.) :confused:

Also, when I switched off my iMac, in the pitch dark of my room, I noticed that a small yellow light was on at the bottom right-hand side of the iMac. (Where the speakers are.) Has anyone else seen this light and is this normal as well? :confused:

2. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Top left...if I'm not mistaken, that's the hard drive. Those tend to get toasty when you spend hours downloading a massive file onto them...

No idea what the yellow light is, though - never seen that on my 20".

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The yellow light's not the sleep light, is it? Does it pulse? Also, I agree that the temperature's probably normal, but maybe use a widget like iStat nano to properly gauge the temperature. :)

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

There are small diagnostic LEDs inside of the iMac, but it seems unlikely that you'd be able to see them from the outside.

:confused:

5. lonestriker thread starter macrumors newbie

lonestriker

Thanks for all your quick replies.

So, it's alright to continue downloading the demo, even if the harddrive feels like it is about to burst into flames? And if something bad does happen to my iMac will it be covered by AppleCare, because I'm using Bootcamp/Windows?

And as for the lights, I didn't see the light but rather the light emitted from them through the holes in the metal panel under the iMac. Anyway, that isn't the most important issue here, as long as it isn't related to the iMac's temperature.