Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Well I was skeptical at first, but last night I decided to go to Circuit City and pick up a copy of Windows XP Pro, to Install on my MBP.

Tried it Last Night, and made the boot cd wrong, it was late so i said I'd give another shot today.

Watched a helpful tutorial video, detailing everything, and caught where i made the mistake.

Partioned the Mac, reinstalled OS X, popped in the xp boot cd, and presto.

Overall, I'm 98% satisfied, I think I'm just still in awe that I'm actually using Windows legally on Mac Hardware.

Internal Speakers don't currently work, gotta plug in headphones, but I can live w/ that. Just got WiFi and Ethernet Working, smoothly.

Only thing that is real jerky is the video, only really noticable when dragging windows across the screen.

Bottom line, is if you want to try this, do it, just make sure to follow the instructions step-by-step and you'll be golden.

tribe3

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Vienna, VA - USA
Thanks for the review. You, like other pioneers are brave guys;) I'll wait for all the bugs and video drivers to be fixed and ready and do it than. I guess I'll only be using XP for some games where OS X is a dog.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
technicolor said:
What about the fans and the heat issue?

The fans and heat issue was proved to be a non-issue. The fans work just fine. Windows simply has a different power management implementation.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
It is a little weird that this works now fairly smooth. How much does a copy of Windows XP (Pro or Home) run right now?

macpastor

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2006
In spreading the gospel of Mac to fellow ministers, I always have this issue about "I need windows" This could eliminate the excuse forever!

bruf

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
Montreal, QC
berkleeboy210 said:
Watched a helpful tutorial video, detailing everything, and caught where i made the mistake.

Hi berkleeboy210, could you provide a URL to the tutorial video you've seen? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.