Very Interesting iBook/Crucial RAM issue

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bmelon, Mar 3, 2004.

1. bmelon macrumors newbie

I've been having what seem to be fairly common problems with kernal panics and wake-from-sleep crashes since I installed a crucial 512 chip in my iBook 933. This morning I called apple and they recommended that I remove the chip, return it, and buy one of theirs. I asked if they knew of any compatibility problems with crucial and they said 'no'. I then called crucial; as soon as I mentioned the problems I was having the operator immediately recognized them. He says: 'Oh, yes, we know there's a problem with the chip we were sending out for that model (all ibooks or just 933? he wasn't clear). Send it back to us and we'll send you a revised version, and your problems will all clear up.' So we're doing an exchange at no charge. I bought the original crucial chip in late February. I thought other ibook owners might be interested in this...

2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Interesting! I just got a crutial 512 for my 1ghz iMac flatscreen and although everything seems to be working ok, I am not happy as it seems that nothing has really sped up much. I checked in system profiler and it shows having it installed. Is there something else I was supposed to do after installing it? I had the original 256 before installing the 512 last month. Where would I be seeing a speed difference? I use the basic programs and have them open at the same time: iTunes, Safari, Mail, First Class, Stickies, iCal...then occasionaly open iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD. Maybe I should not have worried about it since I dont use very memory intensive programs?

Any thoughts welcome.

3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

when you open all those programs u mentioned,,does it ever goto ur hard disk? like it starts spinning? if not..then its workin :)

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    try mutlitasking ripping or burning a cd while playing music and doing some iphoto work and surfing

i only feel the ram kick in when im doing a lot of things on my computer

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I just got 512MB from Crucial for my 700mhz iBook. I bought it in mid-February. No kernel panics or anything though. I wonder if it's the same memory for both computers.