Very large PDF file compared to InDesign file....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tech4all, Aug 5, 2004.

1. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Ok so I was doing something in InDesign and exported it as a PDF. So I decided to do a CMD + I to see how big it was (thinking it was going to be only a few MBs), and the PDF is like 112MB :eek:! The InDesign file itself is only about 30MB and I did use 6 pictures that total about 28MB all together. Why is the PDF so large? I thought one of the plessures of PDFs was the smaller file size, maybe I was wrong? :confused:

2. theadz01 macrumors newbie

try changing the compression options when you go to File>Export in InDesign when saving the PDF

3. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

Thanks for the quick reply :D

Yea in the settings for the PDF compression stuff, I have DO NOT DOWNSAMPLE chosen and Compression set to none. But wouldn't that just not really do anything to the images, thus the file size wouldn't be no larger than the image file. I don't see how or why it could get bigger.

4. zim macrumors 65816

zim

The inDesign file does not contain the images rather reference links to the images. The pdf embeds the images and outlines of the fonts used, so if you are making a pdf with no compression set then yes, the pdf will be = to the inDesign files plus all it's associated files, including font outlines. If you are not taking the pdf to press, you should try using the compression settings. You could also open the pdf in Acrobat, not the reader rather the application, and have acrobat minimize the contents.

5. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

You'll get a heck of a lot more control if you 'print' your file as a postscript (.ps) and use Distiller for your settings and to generate your PDF. 112MB is still a huge size for a PDF no matter how many images are in it.

6. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

second that. i'm in a Quark workflow, but we do the same thing: export to PostScript and use Distiller to generate a PDF. part of that is because quark's PDF engine is inferior to Adobe's, but still: the extra control you get from Distilling your own PDFs is worth it.

7. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

I went to the print menu but I don't see anything to do with Post Script or PDF. The only place that can do PDF stuff is via Export. I do have Distiller and Acrobat.

8. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I honestly don't think that you need to do that if you have inDesign CS. I have done it both ways and ended up with the same file. inDesign's pdf creation set up is pretty smart. Just remember that you can further downsize your files by having acrobat minimize any duplication of images and or fonts.

Have you tried changing the image compression settings? Are you trying to go to print? Is this for the web?

Also, curious to know how many pages, roughly how many images. Did you size the images in inDesign, if so you could possibly save on size by resizing your images in photoshop and relinking them.

9. aus_dave macrumors regular

I'll third the ID -> PS -> Distiller workflow, it might be an extra step but it does give you more control.

tech4all, go to File, Print then select PostScript File under printer, and Adobe PDF under PPD. Then set your options in Distiller, open the .ps file and you're done :D.

10. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

It is only 1 page and for print.

I've seen other Macs that have PostScript File as a printer, but mine does not. :confused:

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

You should be able to go to File > Print > Output Options > PostScript.

The best way to create PDF files for print output is the PS to PDF route through Distiller - especially if this is going to press, vs. printer as in Kinkos.

12. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

Ok I just saw it, I think. Under 'Printer'' it is the first one and says: 'PostScript File' and then below that the 'PPD' thing becomes selectable and I 'Adobe PDF' is the first on the list. I guess thats it :)

BTW: Why is it better to use Distiller to make a PDF rather than just doing it from InDesign?

13. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

any care to explain what distiller is? I'm just curious, not in need of an explanation. Is it a stand alone app made by adobe for use with InDesign? im confused.

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Go to File>Print... When the Print dialog box opens, go to the third pop-up menu. Select Output Options. Check "Save as File." This enables a pop-up for which the default is "PDF." From this, select "PostScript."

15. emw macrumors G4

emw

Adobe Distiller is an application that is used to create PDF files from PostScript. It gives you significant control over the process, including font, color, compression settings, etc.

It is a standalone application, but is meant purely as a PDF creation tool, and is not associated with InDesign.

16. emw macrumors G4

emw

A couple of reasons, but they really only apply if you going to create PDF files for "professional" output. Don't worry about these if you just want to post PDF files somewhere.

InDesign offers some cool features, such as transparency, that are not desirable in a final for-print PDF file (everyone could convert the transparency differently upon print, giving unexpected results). Exporting to PDF from InDesign maintains these transparencies; outputting to PostScript (which doesn't support transparency) does not.

Also, exporting directly to PDF also cause fonts to be embedded as CID fonts, which has been shown to problematic for some printers.

- E.

17. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

'MisterMe's instructions are the correct ones. In Print, select output options, save as file, postscript.

One tip for distiller is make sure to check off the box that allows distiller to override the dpi of your file. If not, you're stuck with the size of the outputted .ps file, but what you really want is to have distiller control this.