VERY little space left on drive

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by biohazard6969, Oct 18, 2005.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

WOW i just realized that i only have about 50mb of space left on my powerbook's hard drive, with no backup disk or nething to move file to :eek:
    i don't want to delete anythhing...i mean my new iMac is coming soon so i'll unload all my stuff on it

just thought i'd share

brings up an interesting question, whats the least amount of main drive space you've had available...actually thats a really awkward and specific question...oh well

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Is that 50 MB with or without swap? If without, then that sucks.

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I've read here that you should have at least 8GB of HD space left for virtual memory. Not sure if that number is true though. If so, your a tad bit under that ;)

How much RAM do you have? How smooth is the computer right now? I would think with only 50MB left it wouldn't run that well. Or did you mean GB?

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Remember the days when 50 megabytes was a LOT of space?

5. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I remember having an 800mb hard drive and being quite chuffed. Alright!

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Read the original post again.

7. cazlar macrumors 6502

I'd still try delete something (surely there's a whole bunch of useless crap on there - there is on mine at least!).

I say this as back on my previous computer (an old revB iMac G3) I remember scraping the disk space limit on a number of occasions, right down to zero a few times. On some of these occasions OS X would take revenge by stuffing up some of my preferences (because there was no space to write them to I guess). Not sure if this happens in Tiger still (I know it now warns you if you are getting a bit low), but best to have a bit of breathing space and some spare swap space too.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you haven't already, get DeLocalizer to delete foreign language resources from OSX, usually frees up 600 - 900 Mb.

Also maybe CacheOut X or another utility will temporarily free up some space.

www.versiontracker.com

9. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

If you thought you had more space than is showing you may have some bloated log files hanging around in a buried folder:

/Library/Logs/Console/<your user name/

There should be at least one file named "console.log" and possibly several more that have filenames ending with a number.

Check the numbered files and see how large they are. I had one that was almost 400 meg. alone. This was caused by some errant Java applet spewing errors all over the place while I was using it for several hours. Ahhh, I love UNIX!

You can safely trash any files whose name ends with a number.

10. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

try "Delocalizer" it will free up a good amount of space on your HD...or you can get an external HD

11. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

iTunes?

iTunes takes up more than a third of my 60GB drive. So far I haven't needed to free-up any space, but here's what I'd do. I'd make a Smart Playlist with the following criteria:
    - Star rating less than three, and
    - Play count equals zero
    Then, burn that entire playlist onto CD/DVD and then delete it from your HD. You'll probably lost a third to half your songs but you won't miss them. In my case I'd get about 5-Gigs back. Your mileage may vary.

Also -- from the "Been There Done That" file -- remember that OSX doesn't actually free-up any disk space when you move files into the Trash. You have to "Empty Trash" to recover the space.

12. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

I had the entire Alias series on my old computer, which kind of ate up the hard drive. I had about 30MB left, although this was on a windows machine. Now that I'm just using iTunes sized videos and burning the HD videos to DVD, I have much more space.

13. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Oops, sorry I read it wrong. But it's a nice "fyi" ;)

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I got down to 95 MB free the other day (160 GB drive). I "fixed" it by buying a 250 :D

PS. Anyone in NZ want a 160 GB SATA?

15. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

Thats the way to do it.