Very new to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JayTee1o4, Sep 23, 2006.

1. JayTee1o4 macrumors newbie

Hello All

I just got a Mac from a friend and I wanted to update the memory.

What I wanted to know was could I use any kind of SDRAM or do I have to use the "mac" Labled ram?

I see that alot of the have the same specs......

This is what I got

450 Mhz PowerPC G3
    320 megs ram

thanks

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

It's safest to use Mac guaranteed RAM, but you pay a premium, expecially on the old stuff now. I've shoved all sorts of DIMMs into my B&W G3s - second hand ex PC RAM, PC100, PC133 - and they never seem to mind. Just make sure the RAM is non-EEC

You can often pick up 2x256 DIMMs pulled from old PCs at good prices. Load it right up to 4x256 if you can. It won't exactly "scream" by current standards but for most tasks in Tiger it'll do just dandy.

You might want to look at picking up a bigger hard drive for it while you're at it - presuming yours is the standard build the 9GB drive is not really big enough to make OSX happy. A new drive (it'll take up to 120GB IDE ATA) will be a lot quieter too

3. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

What I do is go to crucial.com, and I use their "mac ram advisor" (not sure what it's called) to find out what ram my mac prefers. The advisor will ask you for what kind of mac you have, what the processor speed is, etc.

Once I find the ram I need, I go over to newegg.com and search for the very same ram that crucial recommended, being that their prices are usually cheaper.

Macs are picky about ram, so you can't just go out and buy any kind of ram, even if it fits the mac's requirements for speed / latency / etc. The mac may reject some brands. But you don't need to buy ram from Apple - they charge too much.

Send a message to the user CanadaRAM, he has good advice when it comes to ram.

4. damienvfx macrumors regular

damienvfx

G3

Hmmmm. Good luck. 2003 called and wanted their processor back.

5. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

I think you meant 1999. Party like it was.

6. JayTee1o4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply! I think my best bet is to just go with the "Mac" labled memory. As for my HD your right it comes with a 9gb HD. I have some extra ones that I will format over.

PS this Mac wasn't given to me. My main System is a AMD FX 62 With 2gb DDR 800s ATI X1900XT with 2 500GB HDs Running Win XP

thank you

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You must have a horrible memory. The G5 came out in June of 2003. ;)

8. Mernak macrumors 6502

This is a G3 not a G5, released August 31, 1999 (Everymac)