very odd problem

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by jelloshotsrule, May 2, 2002.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

so i've had problems on and off with my hard drive, in that very often i feel the need to run utilities on it. and when i do, almost all the time there is a volume structure problem. so i fix it and move on for another few weeks..

tonight, i've been having the strangest thing happen. i have some fcp capture scratch files i'm trying to get rid of (about 2GB in one file) and when i go to empty the trash, the computer totally crashes (sends up the unix text and all) and i have to restart. it seems to run pretty normal, other than when i empty that particular item... so i tried to drop nuke the file.... that also caused it to crash. i can throw other items away normally...

how the heck can i get rid of that file?!

(oh yes, i even tried reinstalling 10.1.4 (not a clean install or anything drastic-yet).. thanks

2. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

fcp

i should also add... it all started tonight when i was capturing some audio via dv into fcp. i'd start capturing.. then when i click esc to stop, the colored disc would spin and the tape would keep playing (usually pauses when stopping a capture) and the disc would spin and spin. and i'd have to force quit.

then i'd find the capture scratch files. they would be waaaaay bigger than realistically they should have been. eg. i'd capture about 15 seconds of just audio and the file would end up being 3 GB... the thing was, no matter which disk i set as scratch disk, it would always happen, even when i had like 5+ gigs free...

so i just tried again and it still doesn't work. however, i was able to delete the most recent scratch file no problem. however, not the case with the other still... it's still unerasable!... so any ideas on either or both problems would be great....