Very odd thing just happened to me..."start up disk almost full"...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by VoodooDaddy, Jan 20, 2007.

1. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Ive already found the problem but can anyone shed some light on how this happened?

This morning I just happened to check and I had 41gb free on my hdd. Ive not added anything to it today.

I went to make a short, 5 second movie in imovie. I had a sound bit I was going to add to a video clip. So I pieced them together and saved the project. I was tinkering around and was going to trim a little off the original video clip in quicktime but it said "cannot save, start up disk almost full." So I checked and only had 8gb left. Then my mini just totally froze up, couldnt do anything. I assume something was being written to the hdd is why. I tried to log out and back in, but after about 5min being stuck at the log in screen, I just powered it down.

When I start back up I check the hdd and it showed 10gb free, which still left a mysterious 30gb missing from this morning. I moved everything associated with the video clip I was making to the trash, thinking that was the only thing it could be, even though the files I was using were tiny. Before I emptied the trash I ran omnidisksweep, and there in the trash, was a 32gb movie file, the one I was working on.

How did a 4 second movie turn into a 32gb file? The video clip is 364kb and the audio clip I was going to use is 32kb. Weird.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Use OmniDiskSweeper or Whatsize to see where those GB "disappeared"...

Could be a log, temp or swap file gone haywire...

3. VoodooDaddy thread starter macrumors 65816

:p

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

There you see what happens when you write long, long posts... :p

:eek: :eek: :eek: ...or I should improve my skim reading skills...

Anyhow, substitute the usual suspect file types I listed with movie clip and you still got the best answer I could provide: S*** happens... ;)