VERY OLD Mac Game - Battle Chess...

Discussion in 'Games' started by JeDiBoYTJ, May 11, 2005.

1. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

Anyone remember the game "Battle Chess" from WAYYYY back when (System 6 / 7). I remember playing that game when I was in like, the 6th grade, lol. anyway, I just downloaded it and apparently it only works on System 7.5 or earlier... it was never compiled for the PPC. Is there any kind of emulator or something that can get this game working?

I heard something about "vMac", can anyone shed some light on that? thanks

2. Palli macrumors newbie

Yes, I do truly remember that game. It was awesome. I'd like to know about the playability in OS X as well.

P.S. First post :p

3. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

There are a few sites where you can get 'abandonware' games.

http://emulation.net/macintosh/

has some good emulators. Problem is, you need a ROM from an Apple Mac + or so. Hard to come by legally.

4. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

SUCCESS!

Took me about an hour, but I FINALLY got it working!!! Took me forever to find a working system 7 disk image, AND I had to make a disk image so I could load Battle Chess into the system. I just basically duplicated the System 7 Disk Image, opened it up, deleted the contents, then added Battle Chess (I couldnt figure out how to make a working disk image that would load into vMac, so I just simply modified an existing one).

[​IMG]

talk about total nostalgia!!! I wonder what other classic games I can find...
    :D

Attached Files:

5. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

6. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I played the Amiga version too, Color (blue and red as i remember) and some AWESOME killing animations. (I remember it being kinda 3D but it was more than a decade ago!)

7. woxel1 macrumors member

I have the CD-ROM version. Oh, the memories...

8. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

9. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

ah battle chess. yes the memories. I remember getting all excited about seeing a peon fight a knight. Those were the golden years of video games. :)

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wasn't there a fairly sophisticated 3D version later, Battle Chess 3000 or something like that? And hoo-wee, that Queen was *hot*. :D

11. johnnowak macrumors 6502

I had this on the IIgs, where it was also in color.

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I remembering playing it on my LC. It ran like crap, it was so slow....

13. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

That's cool, I never knew you can emulate system 7 on the ppc. My favorites used to be arkanoid and dark castle. I played battle chess but it was through DOS.

Anyone ever remember playing the Missile game? It was the one where you had 5 or 6 cities to protect and you basically clicked in the path of incoming missiles and a graphically bland circle would expand and contract, thwarting any missiles in it path?

14. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Never really played chess (to much thinking involved ;)), but i do remeber checking this game out, i was lol the first time i saw those peons fight.

Now there's a game cut out for my abilities :rolleyes:. Wasted some precious hours trying to hit as many rockets as possible with one click.
    No idea what it was called though, sry.

15. echo3 macrumors newbie

My personal old-school favorite is still Dark Castle. Aw, now you've gotten me all nostalgic...

16. colocolo macrumors 6502

That game is called missile commander IIRC, though I'm not sure I ever played it in any of my Macs or my Apple IIe. I think it was more of an Atari 2600 game...

17. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I remember playing a shareware/freeware version on my Performa 6115, and I believe it was called Missile Command. There was also Crystal Quest which was a lot of fun. And a Galaga style game. Never did find a Mac version of the arcade game Omega Race.

18. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

guess whos the person who seeded it ;)

19. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

I've got 'shufflepuck cafe', but it's on an old se/30 or something back at my mums place. And I no longer have a floppy drive to transfer it!

It's the equivalent of playing air hockey in the cantina in star wars. lots of crazy alien opponents. super addictive (though I haven't played it in 10 years).

20. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I remember playing it on DOS a lot of years ago. Colour with animations.

[​IMG]

I remember the cool animations when your tower transformed and fighted! :D

Some other pic I found while googling:

[​IMG]

I found a download for Battle Chess 4000, but no pics and no Mac. Here is the link, tho: http://www.chesscentral.com/chess_download/battle_chess.htm