VERY old Mac questions...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LimeiBook86, Aug 12, 2002.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I have a Macintosh IIci and a Macintosh IIcx, the IIci works perfectly, but the IIcx doesnt even try to turn on! Also I have a 13 inch RGB Color screen and a 12 inch RGB Color screen (from April 1987), Now I dont know if the 12 inch works, I hooked it up, the light turned on but, the monitor didnt do anything! I think I have the right wire. What is wierd is that instead of a video cord being built into the monitor it has a power cord built into it, I just find it strange...:rolleyes:

Anyway here is what I wanted to ask. Well I have at least one working Mac and Monitor, so what can I do with them? I don't know how to make a server with them. Well I have a AAUI Ethernet card and the converter, but I don't know if I have the right System Software. Well I think the Hard Drive is at leat 80MB, Do you guys think I can store pictures on it for my webpage? Well here is another question. What can be wrong with my IIcx, it was the first Mac my dad got and I really don't want to see it go. Could it be the power supply? All of the wires are pluged in fine, well I'll double-check. If you can help me I'll thank you. :D Thanks! :)cool:)

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I advise you look at

jagshouse.com

It is the most awesome site for old macs and what to do with them, and yes, you can easily turn it into a web server if you have a large enough pipe to connect to the internet with. More information on that can be found at jags house :)

Ensign

3. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Old Mac

Have you thought about checking the internal battery on the offender? Could be that it has just died. Ensign is pointing you to a great site, so check it out. Also, you might sign up for the mailing lists at LowEndMac.com. The guys on those lists are all owners/users/techs on the old equipment. They saved my MacClassic!

Gus

4. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

What I've noticed with all of the old macs that i've owned is that once the battery dies, the mac still powers up, except it keeps saying that I'm in the year 1954 and it keeps resetting the colors to B&W. I would suggest that it's a power supply problem. If not, the IIcx's nubus video card might have gotten loose (I think they used nubus vid cards)

5. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

oh!

yeah it the IIcx has a Roster Ops Nubus Video card, I'll see if it is in there tight. My WORKING IIci (not IIcx) started up in B&W but then when I restarted it it was in color. So maybe the battery died, I hope I can fix my IIcx, thanks for your help! :)

6. Captnroger macrumors regular

I know this is off topic but can any of you remember the first time you saw the hot new IIcx models in your local computer store? Oh man, the color displays, they were so cool, but the pricetags... :rolleyes:

7. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Oh!

Yeah my dad got his first mac: Macintosh IIcx, 13 inch RGB Color Monitor, ImageWritter II Printer, all for just $7,899! HAHAHAHAHAHA

its true you know!?;)

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

Hey, congratulations.

At least it wasn't the 20th Aniversary Mac and a, well, a 20th Aniversary Mac for $10000. :p

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I agree it's most likely the internal battery.