Very scary OS X situation...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by shadowfax0, Aug 13, 2002.

1. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

Ok, my computer has been great, I've never had a crash...until yesterday. It didn't even seem that bad, the Finder jsut wouldn't restart, that's all. Only problem was I was moving something when it did it. Anyhow, the gist is that when I restarted, applications would hang, and I'd get the beach ball of eternal doom. So, I loaded up DiskWarrior, rebuilt the directories (which would make sense being that I was moving something when it crashed) Anyhow, I booted up and everythign seemed dandy. Well, I had the program Proteus (the instant messaging client) unexpectedly quit. Nothing else was affected, however, I can close the bloody window (look below) Anyhow, I will post the console log data below as well, but besides this the only other thing I've noticed is that it does not log my recent application/files/documents anymore.

Console log:
    2002-08-13 15:30:10.127 loginwindow[421] Exception *** -[NSCFArray objectAtIndex:]: index (0) beyond bounds (0) raised during heart beat. Ignoring....

Aug 13 15:30:08 last message repeated 30 times

Aug 13 15:30:33 /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder: kCGErrorFailure : CGSBindWindowInfoForWindow: cannot map shmem

Aug 13 15:30:33 WindowServer[72]: CGXOrderWindow: Invalid window 0

Aug 13 15:30:33 /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder: kCGErrorIllegalArgument : CGSSetWindowTransforms: Invalid window

Aug 13 15:30:33 /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder: kCGErrorIllegalArgument : CGSSetWindowTransforms: Invalid window

Aug 13 15:30:33 WindowServer[72]: CGXOrderWindow: Invalid window 0

2002-08-13 15:30:35.654 SetiDockling[480] *** Assertion failure in -[NSView lockFocus], NSView.m:2084

2002-08-13 15:30:35.654 SetiDockling[480] *** NSTimer ignoring exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException' (reason 'lockFocus sent to a view whose window is deferred and does not yet have a corresponding platform window') that raised during posting of timer with target 8b410 and selector 'updateDockIcon:'

2002-08-13 15:30:57.389 SetiDockling[480] *** Assertion failure in -[NSView lockFocus], NSView.m:2084

2002-08-13 15:30:57.390 SetiDockling[480] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: lockFocus sent to a view whose window is deferred and does not yet have a corresponding platform window

This seems to make sense, although I don't know how to fix it, but it seems that something is missing out of the resources folder, and Im not sure where it went (DiskWarrior?) Also, I looked at the Disk Warrior log and it didn't say anything about specifically moving those files. I hope I can get help with this, being that I am not 'confident' about my computer anymore...:(

Attached Files:

2. shadowfax0 thread starter macrumors 6502

In Addition...

I notice in the terminal I do not the the [localhost:] header anymore, I get this:

Attached Files:

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Mmmm, so we are getting out of OS 9 to fall in to a more advance and fancy complication.

At list I can deal with OS9 but no idea of what I could do in a situation like that under OSX.

4. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

:) its actually not that bad. most people will never have a machine crash. if you do have a problem boot up into single user mode (hold down s on startup) type fsck -y that will fix most problems.

if not run diskwarrior.

in os9 if you recall we often had to run utilities and had to play with extensions and stuff. every system has its own routines o got hrough with osx. thing is that with osx. its very new to some of us. and since it doesnt happen often its not something mst people will ever learn. still itsa good idea to know this stuff just in case.

5. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

that used to happen to me, only about twice though. i think it was all the dodgy shareware i was getting. i've run fsck -y since then though and everything has been fine since.

6. shadowfax0 thread starter macrumors 6502

YAY! Ok, so, so what the hell fsck -y? And what does it do? And how do I use it? That almost sounds like it was meant to fix something "What the FSCK! y???" Just ramblings from a unix newbie :D

7. shadowfax0 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I restarted whilst holding down the "s" key, and it just booted up normally (maybe because I am the only using the computer, a little redudant I suppose?) But is what you're saying just go and log in using the >console command in the login window, login using the prompt, then type that in? Also, jsut as a side note, I noticed that the header is CORRECT when I do that. So it says:
    [:localhost] elliottg, NOT [:~] elliottg
    Anyhow, is that what you want me to do?

8. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

sorry my fault. command-s

do fsck -y until it returns a OK

when you are done type reboot.

9. shadowfax0 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, I tried to boot into single user mode, but I don't think it worked...if you could please describe what is supposed to happen when I do this (what im supposed to be seeing, etc) that would be helpful. I am holding down the Apple key (that IS the command key isn't it?) and it jsut boots up normally. Now, am I jsut supposed to type this into the terminal or something? Or is it supposed to be purely text console when I hold down the command and s keys? I am the sole user of this computer, so if that makes any difference I'm not sure. Thanks again!

10. shadowfax0 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am sorry, I found the problem. I have Open Firmware Password utility installed, it does not allow you to do this, or boot from a cd for that matter, no wonder! :rolleyes: Thanks again for the help!

11. shadowfax0 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK! It worked! All I had to do was mosey on over to macosxhints.com and look up single user mode, and I found a work around! Being that I have the Open Firmware Password utility, what one has to do is this:
    reboot to the login window or just log out
    then (you must have the 'other' option on, allowing you to type in a username) type in >console
    then login as the administrator
    then type: sudo shutdown now
    type in your admin PW again
    you will now be in single user mode.
    Then jsut type in fsck -y, let it do it's thing, then type in reboot, and all is well!!

12. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

ahwell sounds like you found the problem. but ill describe what should happen anyway.

hold down apple and the s key during startup. you will get happy mac and then it will switch to command line. a bunch of text will go through from top to bottom and eventually stop with a message describing two commands. one is fsck -y

all you do is type:

fsck -y

and then click return

it will write soem text indicating that it is checking various directories and make repairs if it finds a problem. at the end it will say system has been modified if it fixed soemthing or system appears to be ok if it is ok. you want to keep doing fsck -y until it tells you that it is ok

then you type reboot start back up again