Very Strange Dilema (Powermac Vs iMac+iBook)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BakedBeans, Sep 3, 2005.

1. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    Since I sold my powerbook a while back i've been using an eMac 1ghz which just isn't cutting the mustard for me at the moment, In fact its killing me.
    Instead of buying a g5 a few weeks/months after i sold my powerbook to edesignuk, i decided to upgrade my camera kit (20D+L glass, not cheap!) but this emac just cannot cope with the amount of photoshop work I'm using and the large files sizes I'm processing (doing a full size panorama nearly killed it at 200mb).
    So i figure, time for an upgrade and the first choice was obvious, a dual g5 powermac (not sure which) with 20 inch screen, 250gb HD from apple, 2gb ram and a 36gb raptor to use for a scratch disk, then i got thinking (honestly, it happens), what about a 20inch iMac g5 with a 12inch ibook for my photography travel, I've not priced them up yet but I'm sure the price wont be to much difference.

The power of the powermac would be great but the flexibility of the iBook would be great and I'm sure the 2ghz iMac is no slouch.

What you think?
  2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Seems to me that if your old PowerBook was up to the task, then an iMac/iBok combo would be sweet. iMac can no doubt do the job plus you get the bonus of a laptop.
  3. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I had an iMac I used for Photoshop work at my last job.

Don't do it.

Also, if you get a PM (that is if you are using CS2) get 4GB of RAM - for regular tasks it can address 3GB now, and after that, if you have more, Tiger will overide PS and use what you have.

The 12" iBook is a perfect on the road machine for photography. I've dragged mine all up and down the California and East Coasts on aerial and ground shoots and it keeps on ticking.

Eff the iPod, too slow.

You will love the PM - holy cripes my Fred Miranda actions just fly now, and I can do a complex custom batch action set on a 4GB multiple image folder in no time.

Going from my beloved PM G4 to this was like a religious experience.

The iMac is good, but you'll want more, plus you can't put a Raptor hard disc in it, a must IMHO.

Go PM, AL Famous.
  4. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2005
    Northern California
    I'm not a photographer, but what if you got the Powermac setup, and a iPod Photo and the photo uploading adapter. That way you can upload on the road. In the future you could upgrade to that iBook if you decide you need it. If you think about it, you wouldn't have that much more space on a iBook.

Note: I'm not sure if speed is a problem with the iPod. It was just a suggestion.
  5. beatle888 macrumors 68000

Feb 3, 2002
    you dont need a dual for 200MB photoshop files. maxing out the ram in an imac and getting a (now this is key for performance) RAID for the scratch disk. Get two 15GIG drives and set up a performance RAID. You'll double (roughly) the scratch disk read and wrights which will save you lots of time.

you COULD always get an old 1.8 dual G5 and an ibook. that would be nice since you could eventually max out the ram and with that RAID i was talking about...that would be nice.
  6. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    Thanks Gary. I kind of felt i should g this way but done think i can afford to go with the powermac + iBook (to be honest i cant afford anything :) ) the main reason for considering the iMac is the screen is included for less that the price of a powermac.

What was so bad about the imac you used? how much ram etc?

you talking about 2 15gig externals? plus the 200mb file was just an example of what bought my machine to a halt.
  7. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    ok, ive added up the totals of the systems.

Dual 2.3 G5
    2gb ram
    20inch apple display
    BT KB/Mouse
    WD raptor (36gb)
    Total = 2609.95

iMac 20'' 2.0GHz G5
    BT KB/Mouse
    2GB RAM
    iBook 1GB RAM (60GB HD upgrade)
    iBook Case
    Total = 2256

hard choice
  8. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2005
    I would get the iMac and the iBook... do you really need the power of one Powermac... you could do a lot more having two machines, one for the road and one for at home.
  9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    A used dual 1.8 or 2 GHz G5 PowerMac, and a new iBook. :)
  10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I have the iBook + iMac set up and I love it. They work really well together - having one machine for heavy stuff and one for mobile stuff (I'll let you guess which one's which). However, I think you may find the dual processors and future upgradeability of the Power Mac a bit more tempting. There's not much in it, until you look at the price difference in which case I'd sway a little closer to the iMac + iBook combo.

Alternatively, Abstract's notion is probably the best bet so far. Of course, it could be a refurb, not necessarily a "used" machine. :)
  11. rickvanr macrumors 68040

Apr 10, 2002
    Are you a student? Get ADC, then you'll be able to afford a lot more.