Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjones185

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Warner Robins,GA
Hi everyone,

I've searched till I'm blue. Maybe I've not figured out the correct words to search.

I have a Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, Macbook and an Apple Airport. I have a home network set up. I use to have some folders on each computer shared so when I connect to my shared computer I could access them.

The problem is, I travel and would turn off file sharing on my laptop and back on again under my network. Now I turn off all folder sharing on all computers. When I turn on file sharing for say only one hard drive and when I access that computer I see everyone of my hard drives on that computer even though they are not shared unser system pref's. I've formatted my hard drives and reinstalled SL on all computers and still have this issue. I guess I'm safe because my network is secured but I still don't like the idea that I share only one hard drive and can see all of them.

Example:
Mac Pro has 4 hard drives (Macintash HD, Photos, iTunes, & Videos) Photos is the only HD shared, however, I can see all of my HDs from my MacBook Pro and can access all the files.

Same scenario with my laptop. I have the HD split and can see both partitions even though only one is shared.

Any thoughts because this is driving me nuts?

Mike

mbestel

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2010
Admin access

Mike,

I believe that this is because you are logging in as an administrator.

When you connect as an Admin user, you can see all volumes, as well and dropboxes and shares.

If you create a non-privileged user and try logging in, you won't see this.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mark

mjones185

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Warner Robins,GA
Mark,

Thank you for your response. I'll create an account and see how it goes. The strange thing is, I've used the same settings and setup since I've had Macs and it's not been like this before. Actually, I think this started when I installed snow leopard.

I'll try it later and post back.

Do you know of any issues using an admin account all the time on a protected network? I've never created myself an alternate account.

mjones185

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Warner Robins,GA
I created a normal non-admin account and tried it and was only able to see what I shred to that account name. This being able to see all drives/folders with an admin account must be new to SL as I always had to share drives/folders for my admin account under leopard.

Does anyone have recommendation on how to establish account verse always using an admin account like I'm doing now?

Does most people create an admin account names something similar and then a personal daily use account under their name or something similar?

Mike

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
OP can you please provide a screenshot of these windows in system prefs->sharing? (2nd one is when u hit the options button).

just need to verify a few things before diagnosing ;)

n.b. i use dofot9 as my everyday account (no admin priveledges) and my actual name (should have blakced out lol) as my admin account. so much safer!

Attachments

• Picture 6.jpg
    Picture 6.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Picture 7.jpg
    Picture 7.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 83
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.