Very Strange Mighty Mice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Forced Perfect, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Forced Perfect macrumors 6502

Forced Perfect

Okay, so I bought a new Mighty Mouse from the Apple store online the day it came out, got it a few days later and it worked perfectly connected to my G4 (400 MHz, "Sawtooth") for a couple weeks. Then I noticed it started acting very strangely, I could no longer right click and using USB Overdrive I could see that button 4 (the side button(s)) was being triggered almost constantly - even when I had no fingers on the side. In fact, I could use a single finger and lightly touch the top (not clicking, just a light touch) and it would trigger the side button. I figured this was simply USB Overdrive not liking the mouse for some reason, so I tried it on my other G4 of the same model and had the same problem. This other G4 had just recently had Tiger installed and had no mouse drivers (USB Overdrive, Mighty Mouse software, etc) installed.

So I called Apple and explained the problem and they mailed me a replacement for free (without asking for my old one back!) Later that day, I stuck the mouse in my PowerBook bag and took it to a sushi restaurant to show a friend the mouse and for some reason it was working perfectly (the PowerBook G3 Lombard had no divers installed either and was running Tiger.) So I seemingly had a working mouse again (I figured some cat fur lodged in the mouse and was messing with the sensors or something.)

I get it home and for some reason it still doesn't work on either G4! So my replacement came and I tried the new one on my G4s and again, the mouse only functions correctly on the PowerBook. I even tried booting from the Tiger install DVD on one G4 and using it there and it still would not right click reliably (in Disk Utility.)

So do any of you have any thoughts as to why two new mice would not work on a specific model, even though the first one worked for weeks. It seems to be some bizarre hardware issue since it still does it regardless of the driver installed and even while booted from a DVD.) Yes I tried disconnecting all the other USB devices. Personally, I love the mouse, but this is really weird (and quite funny!)

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

This be just a thought, but are ye using the Mighty vermin in the same location when ya test it on yer 'Book and desktop, respectively? The Mouse does have electromagnetic sensors, so an electric field could cause all manner o' strange and weird effects.

It be a long shot, but a change in the field near your desktop could explain the buttons misbehavin', while it could work perfectly a few feet away... plugged inta a laptop, say. Worth a shot.

3. Forced Perfect thread starter macrumors 6502

Forced Perfect

Yeah, it is surrounded in electronic devices:

[​IMG]

However, I used my PowerBook on the little pull out thing and the mouse did not move anywhere from the mousepad, it is just connected to another Mac.

I thought of stuff like that before, such as really bad power supply.