Very strange startup procedure

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by capoeirista, Feb 20, 2007.

1. capoeirista macrumors 6502

Jan 21, 2007
    So I am working on a CD Macbook, about 4 months old I guess, over the last few weeks something very odd seems to be happening when I turn the thing on. But only sometimes....

So I hit the power button, and before the Grey Apple screen appears, another screen appears, which appears to be asking which Hard Disk I want to boot from... The problem being there is only one option to choose from (Macintosh HD). This appears as an icon of the HD with an arrow underneath. Click on the arrow, and the normal boot continues. There appears to be absolutely nothing wrong with the operation of the Macbook other than this.

As I saw this only happens sometimes (I've tried numerous different configuration, e.g. mains power vs. Battery Power, CD/DVD inserted vs No CD/DVD inserted, repairing permissions). Often it just leaps straight to the Grey apple screen and the boot is entirely normal... It is a mite confusing!

I've also checked Prefs>Startup Disk and there are two options to choose from: 'Mac OSX, 10.4.8 on Macintosh HD' (Selected), or 'Network Startup'.

Whilst this isn't a problem (as I say all seems to be fine) it is confusing me. Any thoughts? Oh and apols for the long post, didn't want to miss any details!
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    This is perfectly normal. It happens if the Alt/Option key is depressed at boot time. What you're seeing is basically the Mac OS boot manager. Using this is one way to get a Mac to boot a CD if holding down C won't work.
  3. capoeirista thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 21, 2007
    Wow! That was a quick reply! The only thing is I'm not pressing any buttons at all. All I press is the power button...

Edit/ I'm not pressing any KEYS at all... Otherwise it would be switched on by mind power! LOL
  4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    So which one was selected? If none, select the first option.
  5. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Oct 15, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    Unlikely, but is it possible that the option key on your keyboard is sticky or something? Holding option down during boot is supposed to be the only way to get to that screen.
  6. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2005
    Between cats, dogs and wanderlust.
    If resetting the default boot partition doesn't work, then I think this is similar to the problem outlined here. Though I don't know off the top of my head which boot-args option it may be, I think resetting the PRAM and NVRAM will do the trick.

That is outlined in this apple article: under the label "Resetting PRAM and NVRAM"
  7. capoeirista thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 21, 2007
    Hmmm the stuck key does sound reasonable doesn't it... Here comes a stupid question, any thoughts as to an unsticking procedure? Preferably one that doesn't involve any case opening whatsoever.

Oh and the key works perfectly fine in normal use (I just gave it a go...)
  8. capoeirista thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 21, 2007

Sadly not.... :confused: I gave this a try last night, and this evening when I started up the Mac, same deal. Grrr.

Any thoughts team? Much appreciated