Very Strange....

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by voyagerd, Nov 4, 2002.

1. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Ok, I have 16 million Terrabytes of hard drive space used. I must have downloaded a lot of music.

Attached Files:

• hd.jpg
      hd.jpg
      File size:
      90.5 KB
      Views:
  2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Downloaded what? :)

Let's see...that's about 16 Exabytes more than what a normal Hard Drive can hold. Have you been fooling around with ResEdit? Have you tried running Norton SystemWorks to fix this? If this is a big deal, I recommend you run Norton.

When did you notice this?

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Since 16,777,216 is 2^24, and a terabyte is 2^40 (at least as programmers count, by 1024s instead of by 1000s), you must have 2^64 bytes in use! It can also be referred to as 16 exabytes (from the sequence mega, giga, tera, peta, exa).

That's 16 quintillion bytes in the continental system used in the U.S., France, and other countries or 16 trillion in the English system used in the U.K.

Since one published estimate put the sum of mankind's knowledge at 12 exabytes, and you have more than that, I conclude that some of your data must be redundant!

Of course, since 2^64 is also the same bit pattern as flat 0 in 64-bit binary arithmetic, there is a teeny tiny chance that a bug in Mac OS X is causing you to get the wrong display. Nawwwww! :)

4. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

don't let norton touch your drive, it's better to have 16 exabytes than a kernel panic and corrupted blocks :)

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

>don't let norton touch your drive, it's better to have 16 exabytes than a kernel panic and corrupted blocks :)

Easy, big guy. :eek:

If you install Antivirus and leave AutoProtect ON, you are going to have some problems. Leave AutoProtect OFF, and you should be fine.

Besides, how many years would it take to transfer 16 Exabytes of files through Firewire Target Disk Mode? My guess is you should be done before the year 10000. :)

6. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Re: Very Strange....

This most likely Terrabits, big difference. There are 8 bits to a byte, mind you.

7. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

progress i guess

if it was bits, then it would say Tb, not TB. B= Bytes b=bits
    bits are off to the left of it anyway

still trying to fix my hard drive with Drive 10.
    it's gotten better, before it wouldn't even mount, then error -60. Now disk utility shows no errors and i can use the partition. But it still get error -90 on drive 10. When i try to boot on that partition it just starts up on another one. Evem if i hold down the option key and select the one I want.

And yes, I will never use norton again after one incident other than for viruses, which i never get.

Once on the Cnet bandwidth meter i got a bandwidth of 23543 Gb/s. hehe

I also installed 6F19 on the partition, yay, i found a 6F9 downgrader. 6F9 was wacked.

8. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i saw this once before on an imac running 9.2...it was an image file that was some huge terabyte number in size...couldn't delete it either...it messed up the entire computer and the whole thing had to be reformatted

9. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

so uhhh....did you ever fsck it ??

screw all those other utilities...run fsck until it says your volume is good.

10. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

11. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

the easiest way to run fsck (the mac os x file system check) is to boot from the mac os install cd and run disk utility to verify/repair the disk. the system automatically runs fsck on the startup disk at boot time, but if you want to be extra sure, you can restart your computer while holding down command-s and it will boot into single user (command line) mode. then you just type in "fsck -y" (the -y just tells it to say yes to any options) and it will check and repair your boot disk. when you're done, type in "reboot" (or restart, or something) and you should be good to go.

12. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

It wont even try to start up on the partition i want. Even if disk utility says the volume is ok, it just defaults to another partiotion to startup like i selected that one.

13. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Thanks for the help, but i ended up havind to copy all the files onto another partition, initialize and re-install 10.2 on that one and copy the files back, oh well, it works