Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
Imo i say the Nexus is THE BEST android phone out there. Its always ahead of the other android devices with the latest android os version. You could try out a galaxy nexus straight from google for $350 unlocked and no contract for a gsm network.

https://play.google.com/store/devic...XZpY2VzX1VTX18xX3Byb21vXzEzNDc2OTA0NTIyOTciXQ..

But within the next couple months there will be a major change for the nexus. There will be multiple nexus' instead of just one.

Just give it a try and see which one you like better.

It's unfortunate that the Google Play Nexus is GSM only, because that's a hell of a deal for an unlocked Nexus device, BRAND NEW. Guess Verizon and Sprint customers are SOL.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I can dictate into an iPhone a paragraph of text much faster than Swittkeys or Swype.

Dictation is quite unreliable. Mainly because it waits for you to finish what you're saying before compiling the sentences. So if what you're dictating gets long, the chance of errors and missed words become higher and higher. I've had instances where multiple words that were supposed to be back to back were left out.

Dictation on Android is the opposite. It writes it out as you speak, and so when you see a mistake, you can stop right away. But the best thing is that it hardly makes mistakes anyway. It's truly a superior dictation experience.

Maybe iOS 6 gets it better.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
NFC has SO many more applications than just payment processing. Get on eBay and buy some NFC stickers. Put them in some of your frequently visited spots (car/bike/office/bedside table/whatever) and you can create automated tasks that are done when you touch the tag.

Having said that, maybe it's just because I'm in a big city but most stores I visit now have NFC capability on their credit card machines. It really makes absolutely no sense to me why Apple didn't include it in the iPhone 5.

Schiller said that NFC is a solution in search of a problem. While NFC stickers sound great they don't seem to anything that location based triggers couldn't do. I've been asking for location based profiles for a while now in the OS (when I get home change certain configurations). It would be easy to accomplish without something like NFC but Apple doesn't want to go there yet.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Schiller said that NFC is a solution in search of a problem. While NFC stickers sound great they don't seem to anything that location based triggers couldn't do. I've been asking for location based profiles for a while now in the OS (when I get home change certain configurations). It would be easy to accomplish without something like NFC but Apple doesn't want to go there yet.

Triggers are fine and I enjoy them too but I can think of three places in my house is want a different trigger. GPS is no where near accurate enough (esp. Indoors) for it to work properly.

Plus the biggest trigger I want is in my car. Not my drive way or a friends car etc etc.

Keep in mind Android users have apps that use location based triggers for quite sometime now. It work but it's somewhat generic. Regardless I wish my iPhone had either or both not neither.

I didn't read anything about it in iOS 6 so I'm assuming that we have a very long wait.

snow blind

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I've been asking for location based profiles for a while now in the OS (when I get home change certain configurations). It would be easy to accomplish without something like NFC but Apple doesn't want to go there yet.
Excellent idea! I've was thinking of a slightly similar function but using NFC. Unlocking your car with your phone... its home screen automatically opens up a folder with music and map apps... or a "sync to car" button pops up allowing the quick option to pair to the vehicles entertainment/nav system. I like the location idea a LOT... now you made me sad realizing how simple it would be but how Apple will never (probably) do it.:(

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Of course you should buy what you want but really? You're underwhelmed with a product no one in the general population can hold yet? That's a bit hasty.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Of course you should buy what you want but really? You're underwhelmed with a product no one in the general population can hold yet? That's a bit hasty.

Not really. Sure, there are obviously some things we won't know until it's in hand (ergonomics, feel, etc.) but it's also safe to say we know quite a lot about the phone already. Certainly enough to make a decently informed opinion.

Let's face it... there aren't many surprises with the iPhone and iOS anymore (not saying that's a bad thing per se).

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
It's unfortunate that the Google Play Nexus is GSM only, because that's a hell of a deal for an unlocked Nexus device, BRAND NEW. Guess Verizon and Sprint customers are SOL.

Tell me about it, my droid 2 just crapped out on me and i only had a best buy credit card and could only buy a new phone at full retail -_-"

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
-Camera: the Galaxy Nexus camera SUCKS. Plain and simple. If you're going with the S3 or waiting for the Nexus 2012, this shouldn't be an issue anymore though. this. Personally, I like my humble and obscure Galaxy Nexus.

Curious as to why you'd think that? For me its great. Yea images can be noisy in low light and the lens could be wider. But for a cell phone can I think its quite nice. Course its no SLR.

Not really. Sure, there are obviously some things we won't know until it's in hand (ergonomics, feel, etc.) but it's also safe to say we know quite a lot about the phone already. Certainly enough to make a decently informed opinion.

Let's face it... there aren't many surprises with the iPhone and iOS anymore (not saying that's a bad thing per se).

Very true. The iPhone is a been there done that phone. Its a fine phone I'm sure, but let's face it there's nothing amazing about it that hasn't been done.

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Just wrote a very long reply and Chrome for iPad lost it - not sure which company to blame for that ;) Anyway, thank you all again so much for your responses, a friend kindly let me test run his S3 for a while earlier, and...

Things I liked:
+ Cost; factoring in micro USB and micro SD slot, I'll save almost £200
+ Size; extra width allowing a 720p resolution is nice
+ Widgets; very useful, with a nice app list to fall back on
+ SwiftKey; for showing the kind of customisation that simply isn't possible on iOS
+ NFC; for showing that Samsung are trying to stay ahead of the curve
+ Toggles; so simple, yet so essential, requires jailbreak on iOS
+ Speed; it felt really quite nippy, especially the camera
+ Messaging; messaging is a truly awful experience in iOS without jailbreak and BiteSMS

And some things I didn't like:
- No PhotoStream; no way to easily and instantly sync to iPad and Apple TV
- No AirPlay; very useful for Plex, iPlayer, Sky Go and gaming
- Gaming; no GameCenter, limited choice of games
- Apps; repurchasing apps will be costly (LogMeIn alone is £20)
- Play Store; limited availability compared to iOS, no way to backup/sync to desktop(?)

I'm almost tempted to wait for the Samsung Nexus 2, though none of my negatives regarding the S3 will be fixed by doing that.

It will make my experience very fragmented though - no seamless sync between devices, no AirPlay, no GameCenter, having to repurchase apps I already own, as well as potentially buying future apps on two devices too, hmm.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Curious as to why you'd think that? For me its great. Yea images can be noisy in low light and the lens could be wider. But for a cell phone can I think its quite nice. Course its no SLR.

It suffices for a smartphone camera, but being an ex-4S owner, there's no question the camera is a downgrade.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It suffices for a smartphone camera, but being an ex-4S owner, there's no question the camera is a downgrade.

I've found it better for a macro shot. I just can't get my 4S close enough to the object to focus. What do you think?

Edit: example I took this at work today

The screw doesn't have a flat head slot. Its a factory defect on the control I was working on....

zyju7ada.jpg

But that's as close as I could get. I just wanted to go a little closer but even that close was slightly out of focus.... That's a 4s btw....

Last edited:

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Just tested I tested out the original Samsung Nexus earlier after people have said it has a nicer OS, and honestly I think TouchWiz is actually better than stock Android, though the feel and size of the Nexus is far better.

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I did it. I went S3.

Feel relieved - even though I'll miss the integration with my other devices (in particular iPad and Apple TV) I'm so disappointed with Apple right now that I'm sure I've made the right decision.

The best part is that the total cost of my contract (100 minutes, unlimited texts and 1.5GB data) came to £492. To put that into context, buying an iPhone up front would have cost £530, and there isn't a single contract I've found that would cost less than £895, almost double what my S3 cost.

Happy. :) Thank you guys.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I did it. I went S3.

Feel relieved - even though I'll miss the integration with my other devices (in particular iPad and Apple TV) I'm so disappointed with Apple right now that I'm sure I've made the right decision.

The best part is that the total cost of my contract (100 minutes, unlimited texts and 1.5GB data) came to £492. To put that into context, buying an iPhone up front would have cost £530, and there isn't a single contract I've found that would cost less than £895, almost double what my S3 cost.

Happy. :) Thank you guys.

Congrats! The S3 is a great phone. Let us know if you need any help with anything (not that I'm an expert but I'll try :p)

lyunmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
In case you have any pictures, music, or videos on your GS3 and wanted to play them on your tv, you can use the Twonky app to connect with your apple tv. I was surprised it worked when I was trying it with my galaxy player. It connected with my apple tv 3 and I played music, showed some photos, and played Captain America on my tv.

iphonefan74

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
In case you have any pictures, music, or videos on your GS3 and wanted to play them on your tv, you can use the Twonky app to connect with your apple tv. I was surprised it worked when I was trying it with my galaxy player. It connected with my apple tv 3 and I played music, showed some photos, and played Captain America on my tv.

How? Doesn't work at all on my SIII and ATV, uninstalled it

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Thanks 3bs! :)

How exactly does this work? I'll give it a try as soon as I get my phone though, thank you.

To be honest with regards to the Apple TV I'm more interested in things like Plex, iPlayer etc etc that won't be possible now without an iPhone

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Ah, that is good news, thank you! Unfortunately though I still don't think I'll be able to then send that stream to my Apple TV :(

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
And some things I didn't like:
- No PhotoStream; no way to easily and instantly sync to iPad and Apple TV
Blame apple for not supporting open standards. Any DLNA enabled device will enable you to share your photos.... OR you can just open up a web browser (on your ipad) and go to your Google Picasa page which will contain your automatically-uploaded photos taken with the phone.

- No AirPlay; very useful for Plex, iPlayer, Sky Go and gaming
DLNA. Its an industry standard.
- Gaming; no GameCenter, limited choice of games
I do not game on my android devices, so I cannot speak to this
- Apps; repurchasing apps will be costly (LogMeIn alone is £20)
yep, thems the breaks.
- Play Store; limited availability compared to iOS, no way to backup/sync to desktop(?)
You can back up your apps to:
1. The device (Titanium)
2. A computer (Titanium or other programs that create a backup image of your phone that you can transfer to a PC)
3. The cloud (like you are supposed to, though this does not always preserve settings)
Is your real complaint that there is no Itunes-like program? Lol...and thats a bad thing?

I'm almost tempted to wait for the Samsung Nexus 2, though none of my negatives regarding the S3 will be fixed by doing that.

It will make my experience very fragmented though - no seamless sync between devices, no AirPlay, no GameCenter, having to repurchase apps I already own, as well as potentially buying future apps on two devices too, hmm.

No amount of waiting will make your Android stuff play with your apple stuff any better. It is the price you pay for going with a walled garden.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.