Very Upset With New Powermac (Again!)

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Freg3000, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for their help last time with this issue. I thought my problem was fixed . . . but it's not.

I have a RAM problem; everyone here at MacRumors sai the 3rd party 512 MB chip that ClubMac gave me free was faulty. It caused me to have an inordinate amount of kernel panics after waking up from sleep. I took it out (leaving only 256 MB in) and I had not one kernel panic-for one entire week. When I put the 512 stick back in, I had a kernel panic the first time awaking from sleep.

I called ClubMac, they were very helpful, and sent me another 512 stick. I put it in, and it seemed to work great. My Powermac would wake up fine from sleep-or so I thought.

For the last 4 days, I have had a kernel panic after a long sleep period. Only sometimes though. Try to follow this.

A sleep from 10:00 PM until 7:00 AM results in no kernel panic.
    A sleep from 7:00 AM until 6:00 PM results in a kernel panic.

This has happened 4 days in a row. I am sure it will happen again tomorrow.

Is this RAM also faulty too? Or is it my computer having problems with long sleep periods. Is there even a difference between a 9 hour sleep and a 11 hour sleep besides the nominal 2 hours?

Everyone helped me so much last time, and I need assistance again. Thank you.

2. alset macrumors 65816

alset

There may be a problem with your mother-board. Specifically, the connector on that DIMM slot. Have you tried moving the chip to another open slot?

Lots of luck!
    Dan

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Very Upset With New Powermac (Again!)

take it to a dealer, if the motherboard is bad you will have your computer back in two days all fixed.

iJon

4. Freg3000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Actually, ClubMac shipped it with the 256 chip in slot 1, and the 512 chip in slot 3. I put the new chip in slot 2.

Hope that gives some clarification.

5. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well

Do you have any ATA Controller cards or anything?

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

It is probably the motherboard since this is an ongoing problem, tho, I'd like to see you put the 512 MB in slot 1 and the 256 in slot 2 and test.

If the test fails then you have a mother board problem, anyway I find no use for sleep mode, I just let my monitor turn off and let my Hard Drive sleep, sure it isn't as good as sleep but i fold so I need to keep that processor running.
    :D

Call them saying it is a motherboard prob and ask if you should ship it back.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Sorry just read your post but if you see this they may have a batch of bad memory and i didnt see any precautions you took when installing such as antistatic precautions and i hope you were trying to hold the chip by its very edges if not you could have zapped this yourself without knowing and hence another bad chip. just a thought

8. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

shhh. we are experienced geeks. we never make mistakes.

(backing up?? please, why would you do that? :D)

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah don't insult us. ;)