VERY VERY Pissed at Apple

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by DeadlyBreakfast, Dec 25, 2003.

1. DeadlyBreakfast macrumors regular

Got my nephew a 10gb iPod. He has a USB port but no firewire. Open the dam thing and he cant use it. WHY? No freakin USB cable. Did the salseman at the apple store say anything about buying a cable when I told him I was buying it for use on a windows machine with USB?? Hell no!! I am so freaking pissed right now becuase my nephew cant use the gift I got him until he gets the cable. All the guy had to do was tell me.. I had it wrapped next to the apple store no I neve got a chance to read the fraking box, if it even said anything about it.. I Jobs was here right now I'd punch him in the dam head!!

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You need to relax a little there.

You're beef is with the inept salesperson, someone working for peanuts in a retail store during the busiest shopping time of the year and not with apple.

And actually, you don't need a cable, there is an adapter you can buy instead.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...WAC49vtlE2qavKJx1WmowQFf/11.7.0.5.3.15.33.9.0

Its a great gift, don't ruin the thought by get upset over stupidity. You'll get the adapter and it will work.

Merry Xmas! :D

D

3. Versello macrumors regular

Re: VERY VERY Pissed at Apple

Break out the baseball bat and bust the sales person's knee-caps :D

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

My friend has a similar problem but he ordered his online and then couldn't install the PCI card (hes not quite computer bright persay .... ) so he eventually found the right cord at circuit city or somewhere. From what it looks liek be glad you found an ipod to buy for your nephew. Also doesn 't it say included accesories on the side
    "Earbud headphones, AC adapter, dock connector to FireWire cable, 4-pin-to-6-pin FireWire adapter" ...

5. Macpoops macrumors 6502

You should always do a little research before you buy especially around the holidays, cause you never know what jackass is going to be behind the counter.
    Will your newphew be using it on USB 2.0 or just plain old USB because to my knowledge plain old USB won't work

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You need to relax. Where's your Christmas spirit? :cool:

First of all, count yourself as one of the lucky ones that were actually able to find an iPod this Christmas, as Apple is effectively sold out!

Secondly, you should always do your research when buying a (relatively) expensive item like this, especially when the purchased item deals with technology! It doesn't take much time and effort, and is worth it in the long run, as you have just proved yourself!

Thirdly, don't be mad at Apple or Jobs, and for that matter, don't be mad at the salesperson either, as anger never solves anything. What does being angry accomplish in this situation? Absolutely nothing. I always laugh and shake my head when I see people waste so much time and negative energy on the most trivial things. The salesperson is to blame here, however he is probably working for minimum wage and has been working off his feet during this whole Christmas season, and maybe has lapses from time to time. Possibly, he is simply not that bright. The salesperson is human, and we all make mistakes. Have you never, ever forgotten to tell someone something? Have you ever made a mistake?

Lastly, sometimes these little details are not mentioned by salespeople, whether that's right or wrong - the example that comes to mind that happens all the time is with regard to printers. You buy a printer, but you do not receive a USB cable to attach it to your computer. Sometimes salespeople tell you this, other times, they do not.

In conclusion, you're overreacting. The iPod is an excellent gift, and it would be very unfortunate if you let this minor detail ruin your thoughtful gift, or put a downer on Christmas. These things happen, so it all comes down to how you deal with it and what attitude you choose to have - it's your decision on how you want to react to little setbacks like this. Personally for me, I have more important things to spend my energy on, in positive ways, rather than expending negative energy regarding a simple little USB cable. Put things in perspective and you'll see that this isn't a big deal at all.

So go out, buy a USB cable for your nephew and let him enjoy his gift from his thoughtful uncle, rather than complaining about it - and have a Merry Christmas! :cool:

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Somebody steal your Fruit Loops this morning?

I hope you don't end up having to wait in any Gift Return lines, or rush across any stores for the Blue Light Specials. Could get ugly.

Have some Egg Nog with lots of Grog and enjoy your holiday.

After all a low wage employee isn't expected to know as much as some of the managers, and most of the managers aren't know for their book learning. :p

8. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Hmm.. I'd advise against laughing and shaking head at angry people. That only makes them even more angry. And they might bring down some whoop ass on to you as well. And you will be hella lucky if they don't have a shotgun in the trunk.
    They will shoot you in the ass and then plead not guilty because they couldnt control their actions :p

9. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Re: VERY VERY Pissed at Apple

Yeah that kinda sux.
    But don't worry, you can get that wire tomorrow. For today, your nephew has many things to do anyways. Like learning how to use the thing and its possibilities. Preparing music he wants to be transfered on the computer. Playing loaded games on Ipod. Creating folders for music/data storage on Ipod.
    To my experience it took me longer to organize things rather than simply copy the music...

10. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

What are you talking about? That's exactly the USB cable that he needs. See how it's called a cable, and not an adapter? There is no such thing as a FireWire to USB adapter, or vice versa.

While it might have been nice of the salesman to mention to you that you needed this cable, researching the product before you buy it is your responsibility.

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

12. johnnowak macrumors 6502

Haha, fantastic.

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Hey genius, look at the bottom of the box, "Windows PC with a FireWire port or compliant firewire card, shall i scan it for you? just let me know.

iJon

14. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

well, it's "genius." :D

sorry to hear about your situation, but it sounds like an unfortunate combination of uneducated/inconsiderate/too busy sales person and the lack of research on your part. i don't think apple is really to blame, as the requirement is clearly stated on the box. and there's only so much apple can do to make the public aware that the cable included is a firewire cable only.

some PCs now come with a firewire port, so the sales guy can't be faulted 100%... but i still think he/she was just uneducated. it's a busy season and with iPods flying off the shelves, i can understand how they could get caught up on answering questions rather than spending time to consider the purchaser's situation and suggest accessories...

however, you will have a chance to get the usb cable - so it's not as traumatic as getting a, say, Xbox game for a PS2 playing kid.

relax, it will not be a gift wasted. not at all.

15. iPost macrumors regular

Have to side with the original poster on this...

He didn't buy the iPod at Wal-Mart, he bought it at an Apple store. So, in effect, he is buying it from Apple. The purpose of the Apple retail stores is so that Apple can control the quality on Apple equipment purchases... making sure everyone who walks out the door is happy and has their needs met. It's all about extending the ease-of-use of Apple products to the retail sales process.

The fact that someone walked out of an Apple store with a product that they couldn't use is a bug in the system. If I were Steve Jobs, I'd be pissed that this happened. Making the user do their own research, reading the box, figuring it out when they got home to use it, etc. is the way things work in the Windows world... and has no place in the Apple world.

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yes that is true but he is not going to get anything done. he is missing a cable and he knows what needs to be done. he just needs to drive to the nearest place tomorrow and pick up a usb cable, simple as that.

iJon

17. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

the solution to all this is very simple ... and unless i didn't read the thread carefully I'm surprised now one else came up with it.

Buy a Mac/Book to go with the iPod ... LOL

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Ah, but you see, I am a bastard, and it's actually quite fun to anger people even more, and not get angry yourself! Yes, I know, one of these days I'll learn my lesson - the hard way. :cool:

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Sure, there's logic in that. I've been on both sides.

Having previously worked in retail, I found that most people treated me like the Spanish Inquisition when trying to get the right product for them. They didn't know what they had at home and were offended if I didn't sell them what they thought they needed, even if it was the wrong thing. They were also angry when they brought it back and told me that I sold them the wrong thing. :D

While I can sympathise, I know that knowledge is power. Be powerful and go forth to purchase! ;)

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yikes, someone needs some anger management classes! (Referring to the initial quote, not iJon!) Aren't those the types of posts that get your posts removed and put on the "ban-watch" list? Listen, there is no need to call someone an idiot, especially when you're the one who made the mistake, as iJon correctly pointed out for you. I think we can have civilized, mature discussions here without resorting to childish insults.

And iJon, good to see you're feeling better! I'll check your other thread to see how things have been going since the accident.... Good to have you back!

21. Macpoops macrumors 6502

My favorite was from back in the day when i worked at a hardware store. Customers would demand that i open a box and show them how to work a tool or to make sure the parts matched up. i would comply. Then put it back in the box and hand it to them. They would usually make a face at me and tell me they wanted one that wasn't opened. Really people i unpacked and repacked the box infront of you, give me a break please....

I remember one German couple did the same thing only only grabbed the wrong thing. They came back claiming i handed them the wrong thing. The my cashier(who spoke german) informed me they called me "An Ugly American F*** Face" Bloody Germans

22. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Are you saying you would buy an Apple product blind, doing no research on it? The very fact that you are on this rumor site proves that you try and research and find out what is new and upcoming to become better informed and more educated! I think researching purchases is universal, whether it's buying a PC, a Mac, a TV, a car, a house, a new pair of jeans, or an iPod. If you don't do your homework before you buy a product, you can get burned.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sorry to hear about this situation, but what it comes down to is doing 5 minutes of easy reading ahead of time to prevent these types of situations, and in this guy's case, driving to the local store and buying a cable the next day. No reason to get upset, angry and start holding a personal vendetta against Apple. That's just silly. What does that prove after all?

23. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

you research Jeans?

24. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Ahh plz, iJon always sides with apple when they are right or wrong. Like I haven't been to his threads.
    I just can't wait to see him get majorly screwed by apple himself.

25. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

well, since this was the apple retail store we are talking about, i do lean more toward the original poster's perspective. it's my personal belief that the apple store should be accessible to a complete newbie and should be tolerant and helpful, more so than other stores. if it was made clear that the ipod will be used with a usb only PC, it should have occurred to the apple sales rep to at least mention the possibility of needing the usb cable. he didn't have to push to sell the cable, just mention it, or ask about accessories...

i think this particular apple sales rep did drop the ball a bit more than the original poster.