very very simple photo editing program?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slipper, Jun 20, 2004.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

guys please help me, my girlfriend really wants to convert to Macs however she likes doing her girly digital artwork. you know, that precious moments and hello kitty crap. is there something very simple, something that even a 10 year old kid can use with premade templates and scenes

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

People who read your post too quickly are going to think you have a ten-year-old girlfriend. :eek:

If she wants to convert to Mac, three cheers for her. And you should give her a little slack about her choice of art. Hello Kitty drawings today, power user of Tiger tomorrow.

Are you looking for inexpensive software, or must it be free?

3. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

something inexpensive or free would be good. she uses Microsoft PhotoIt! on her PC a lot.

4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

To be honest, iPhoto is good for simple editing such as cropping, rotating, red eye reduction, brightness/contrast, touching up, etc. This comes free with all Macs.

For a better paint program, you get Graphics Converter free with all PowerBooks and Power Macs. I don't tend to use that because I have Photoshop Elements 2.0, which is very good, but possibly overkill. (I got it for £50 ($80) and it includes both Mac and PC versions, and 3 home licences). However, this program is a cut-down version of Photoshop, but is also easy to use and has a lot of quick filters for adjusting photos.

iMacs, eMac and iBooks come with a paint program as part of AppleWorks but I'm not sure how good that is for photo stuff - probably only comparable to MSPaint on Windows.

5. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

id agree photoshop is great, afterall i swear by it and ive had every version since 5 or 6 but she wants something very simple with templates where you can just add a picture and be on your way.

6. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Have you tried the GIMP? It's a bitmap-oriented program and doesn't have Hello Kitty templates, but it's free...

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

iPhoto should be fine.

Photoshop Elements is quite powerful for the price (under $100). It's easy to use, but not trivially easy to use. Graphics Converter is also good, but iPhoto or Photoshop would probably be better for her needs.

The GIMP is fantastic, but you'd need to build it on your Mac, and it might be a bit techy for her.

Assuming you have a Mac, or have access to one, why don't you let her try iPhoto? It's already there, and, if it's sufficient, your problem is solved.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

iPhoto
    GraphicConverter
    Photoshop Elements

9. federalists macrumors member

actually, the gimp is really easy to install (and uninstall!) now. i found this over the weekend and spent all night deleting the old MacGIMP install i had. there's no documentation for uninstalling MacGIMP. but Gimp.app acts just like a regular mac app; just throw away the whole app to uninstall.

http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/

10. cubist macrumors 68020

I don't think any of these programs address what slipper wants to do. I've been using photostudio x (.mac download) and it works fine, but it doesn't have the 'framing'/'template' feature he mentions.

This is generally more of a 'Greeting Card Maker' type of feature. Take heart, slipper, Macs have had this type of capability longer than PCs have (why, the venerable Mac II had true color), so the ability to deal with photos is in most applications. Print Master and its variations can use photos, for example.

11. jhomayne macrumors regular

erm. just to save making another thread.

what is the easiest way to resize a photo?
    i know that iphoto can do cropping.etc. but if i just want to make a photo a bit smaller so that i can upload it to a website (like fotki) without waiting an age for the photo to upload?

ta

:confused:

12. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Just export it (under File) from iPhoto and it will allow you to resize it (without cropping) adn save it to a location of your choice. Ready ot upoad.

13. jhomayne macrumors regular

:cool:
    cheers. just what i wanted!

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A great, very basic photo editor is (or was) PixelNHance by Caffeine Software. Unfortunately this group is now defunct but you can still find an archive of all of their offerings at:

ftp://ftp.cs.unm.edu/pub/stone/StoneStudio/

(Connect to this server from the Go menu in the Finder, and drag copy the archive CaffeineApps.dmg)

15. CLAUDE macrumors member

Picture editing

Well, I'm actually looking for a software for editing pictures or parts of it. My friend has been using Publish it on a PC and I'm looking for something similar.....On Publish it, you can cut out parts of the picture, easily change color of parts of the picture, add in text, drag and drop part of pictures, text and so on to build your on poster, flyer or picture....

16. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Adobe used to sell a program called PhotoDeluxe (Classic only, I'd assume) that would probably fit the bill perfectly. It's kind of like an assisted version of Photoshop Elements with walk-through effects templates.

You can probably find a copy out there for next to nothing, it used to be bundled with cameras and scanners and stuff.

[Edit: Just found a copy and tried it under Panther; runs fine under Classic.]

17. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is a Mac. You don't have to do everything in a single application. At any rate, GraphicConverter is an excellent shareware application for image editing and file conversion. Before you pay the shareware fee, it nags you just a bit. However, the application is not crippled. Your ten-year old girlfriend can import her edited photos into Print Shop or another of the publishing apps targeted at the home market. If she uses an app like Print Shop, iPhoto will probably do all of the photo manipulation that she needs.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

GraphicConverter is a useful application, but I'd hardly call it "very very simple," which was the criterion after all. I've been using it on and off for years, and I still don't feel very proficient with it.

Also, check out ToyViewer.