Very, very upset with my Powerbook. Thinking about switching back to PC

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Drile, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Drile macrumors member

I recently purchased a Powerbook 15" fully loaded (1.67, 128 vram, 100 gig, etc..).

The first computer came completely DOA. Wouldn't even start up.

The replacement took about 3 weeks to get to me after delays in production and other ********. I was told I would have it in less than five days.

Now my replacement keeps freezing up on me, random apps keep needing force quits, and this screen pops up frequently...

[​IMG]

Because of the delays in getting the new computer to me I missed the deadlines on my rebate for my printer. (rebate requires upc of label of box of Powerbook) Apple yanked me around by my nuts and threatened not to honor the rebate after it was their damned fault I missed the deadline because it took them weeks for me to get my replacement.

I am going to call tomorrow morning, but I don't even know what to demand yet. I don't even know if I want another replacement. I'll probably ask for a refund.

Don't get me wrong. OS X is great....when it works. If my computer would work, then I would love it.

I am leaving for NY on labor day. I have to have my laptop with me for work purposes.

Any company can have problems like this, that isn't what pisses me off. It is getting treated like trash by the support team when I spend $3,000 plus on an order. That is unacceptable, and Apple has probably lost a customer for life.

I'll update you guys in the morning on how Apple handles this one.

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That sucks heaps Drile. I feel for you so much. It's horrible to have to wait so long for you Mac to come let alone have it DOA. I can only imagine what it would be like to have it happen twice.

It sucks that Apple have treated you rudely as well. I hope you've kept a level head. You'd think that they'd be very apologetic given the delays in getting you powerbook to you and it being their fault. It always helps if you can to get your call escalated up the hierachy - they'll usually be a little more trained in customer service.

Be strong my friend :).

p.s you don't have any 3rd party RAM in your baby do you?

3. Drile thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. It feels great so have somebody treat me with some respect... ;)

I haven't even had a chance to install 3rd party RAM yet, so that is definitely not the problem here.

4. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Sorry to hear that. It seems you have some bad RAM. Call Apple or bring it to an Apple store and have it taken care of. Just tell them politely that you are not happy with all your inconveniences, etc. and see what they can do. Best of luck to you.

5. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

Don't get me wrong, I have every sympathy and this just reminds me how bad Apple customer service can be when it's bad, but as frustrating and aggravating as it is to be provided faulty equipment and then be treaded shoddily as a result, it really doesn't make any sense to turn your back on Apple systems as a consequence. Not that they don't deserve that you do just that, but that in the end, if you're an Apple user and you like working with the OS, then it's you who'll suffer for your choice, not Apple.

Those of us who have bought and used Apple systems since the very early days know just how bad this company can be at times when it comes to paying respect to it's loyal customer base. Indeed, 'bad' isn't really the word for it. There are times they seem to derive perverse pleasure from doing entirely the wrong thing. But the reason we keep buying their products is because aside from the occasional failure such as you have had, Apple systems really do just work, and in an industry full of manufacturers who have no clue about innovation or innovative design and no interest in making stand-out products, Apple stands out as capable of producing the most astonishing systems which provide a remarkable quality of user experience.

If you're one of those people for whom that user experience is positive, I'd urge you to do what many others do - stick with Apple, not for their good, but for yours!

6. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

That really sucks but I think the mac is worth it in the end.

7. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Unfortunately Apple no longer produces Macs in US factories. Nowadays they're built on the same assembly lines in Taiwan and China as PCs. Whether you buy a PC or a Mac you have roughly the same chance of it failing.

8. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

First and foremost, sorry about your difficulty - it is extremely frustrating to deal with a malfunctioning computer.
    I believe what you are experiencing qualifies as a kernel panic (see here).
    Here's the Apple troubleshooting guide for kernel panics.
    The basic gist is to see if you're recently installed any software, hardware or RAM. If so, then uninstall/unhook those and try again. If not, you may consider a reinstall of the OS.
    The other option I would strongly consider is calling Apple support - I had a kernel panic issue with my PB for which I ultimately had to send the computer to Apple. However, prior to that, I talked with several Apple tech support people who were ALL very helpful & knowledgeable. They walked me through several troubleshooting steps - it's possible that one of those would work for you.

If this is elementary and obvious to everyone, I apologize for that - I just hadn't seen it said so I thought it was worth mentioning.
    Good luck!

9. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

The first 15" powerbook I bought a week ago was a dud. Ran for two hours then there was a panic and upon restarting it never booted again. I ran the hardware test CD and it said there was a memory fault. Swapped slots - a fault on the other slot. Swapped for a known good DIMM - still the same. The machine was dead. Fortunately I didn't buy it direct from Apple so I got a refund.

The second powerbook I bought had the power adapter go 'pop' the next day.

Apple's build quality and QC seem to be lacking...

In your case I would suggest running the extended test from the Hardware test CD to see if there's a hardware fault.

10. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Well, I have had a great experience with Apple. Just got my fully fuctional iBook G4 1.42GHz, works flawlessyly. As right now I'm typing this enjoying my computer experience while my PeeCee is running spyware and virus tests. :rolleyes:

I think you've just been very unlucky. I know your fustration, but, do NOT switch back, really, don't. Just make this order go through and get a fully fuctional PowerBook.

You'll be happy you did ;)

11. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

To be honest that comment was rather unhelpful. It was a bit like telling a bloke that had had his balls ripped off that you still had both yours and they worked great... :rolleyes:

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You've got a hardware problem, but I think you already know that. Probably something like 90% of hardware problems are RAM-related. Even RAM that comes pre-installed can be bad! I had this exact problem with my PowerBook. Drove me to distraction until I figured it out. Apple really wasn't any help at all. I had to tell them how I'd fixed it -- by replacing the RAM in the bottom slot. It's been fine ever since. I don't understand why Apple tech support is so poorly briefed on this, since the problem is so common.

13. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

Well I do understand your feelings.

I switched 3 years ago, and I enjoy computing again.
    Knowing how great the experience will be I would hold on, also going back to Windows will never be an option, knowing the difference.

Keep in mind: This could happen with any manufacturer.

Perseverence will give you a great reward, and I am sure Apple will help you if you stay correct in your attitude, sure when they know you are a switcher.

It's gonna be alright. ;)

14. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

15. Drile thread starter macrumors member

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sorry to see that you've walked into such a nightmare. In fairness it could happen anywhere in corporate America, but I am surprised it happened to this extent with Apple. The only time I had to send a Mac back to Apple for repair, the process was handled rapidly and professionally.

Incidentally, I seriously doubt you'd get any better treatment from IBM. They don't even make PCs anymore. It's a real foot-race to the bottom in the PC world in terms of quality and service.

17. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

They're punishing you for not switching sooner, now they are making you wait longer :D

18. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

What a pity party. I'm sorry for your troubles, but we all have them. I sent my PowerBook back 5 times before getting it replaced. I then had to swap the replacement for a bad screen. And now it works fine.

You are simultaneously expecting Apple to give you an iPod or $300 worth of merchandise, while trying to convince them you are a good customer and they would be sorry to lose you? What kind of logic is that? Where does it say you get such "gifts"? Oh, forums.

I liked how you used your "leverage" on other forums, good intimidation there. I am sure they are scared. A five year old is sending them e-mails, I would be too.

Sorry if I have no respect for people who expect unbelievable compensation because they are so special, and had to work in a room with wired ethernet. Lol.

EDIT: I see you realized how silly your letter was. This is mostly directed towards that.

19. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

I'm not sure why so many get off on tearing into others online. Is it empowering or something?

Sheesh! Take it easy!

20. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

hehe, now that's mean. :D

Sorry to read that bunch of problems but do not go to pc's ...

Oh WTF! 2000+ posts! and I remember what I thought about those with 1000+ :D .

21. James L macrumors 6502a

I dunno... I sort of agree. You have had bad luck with a couple of machines.... **** happens.

The important thing is that you must now decide on whether or not to POLITELY pursue (yelling and throwing tantrums, not that I am saying the original poster did this, gets you no where) the issue with apple, or go buy a different machine.

It is the concept of "shipping delay" == "lying" that is a joke.

Shipping delays happen. Deal with it. The person who told you when it would be shipped might have been totally sincere, and something came up since then. That ain't lying.

I have had Apple take back a 15" PB with ONE stuck pixel... something they clearly say they will not do. The trick is to politely work your way up the food chain, and whenever you get a no, ask for their name, and then ask to speak to their boss. The food chain ends at one person.

As to expecting gifts for the delay... well, it never hurts to ask, but you shouldn't expect.

And finally, as to the threat of posting this on a bunch of forums PPPPLEEEASE... what a childish threat. Apple deals in BILLIONS of dollars of business per year. Do you really think that the threat of making them look bad on a few internet forums where a few people hang out is a real threat?

...nope.

I am not trying to **** on the original poster. I am only trying to point out that no one is out to get him, no one has lied evily to him, etc. He has had a couple of bad machines. Bummer. Either keep going after Apple up thr food chain politely, or just buy another brand.

Simple.

22. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I am always a bit surprised when I read these stories. I have owned a lot of Apple products and never required service on any of them...and while I realize that this may be an anomaly and every company is going to have a few "lemons" go out the door, when that does happen everything I have ever read about customer service satisfaction surveys (and not just initial sale but after sale support...) gives Apple very high marks and frequently they are at the top of the heap.

As has been suggested already, I would pursue the issue with Apple, keeping your cool but being firm as well...it is *not* normal for this to happen and if you can get to the right person they *will* make it right for you....oh yeah!

23. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I'm just wondering how he got that screenshot in his original post since by the time that screen comes up, you can't do anything else on the machine...

Also, can I just say that reading duff mans posts always makes my night when i get to the end. i would say oh yeah but i don't want to steal the trademark.

24. ajampam macrumors regular

ajampam

Boy, sorry to hear about your predicament...it sure is a bummer...I just hope you can find the right set of people to deal with and things fall into place....But it would be sad if you switch though....I have never had issues like this with any of the PCs I owned either, but I used curse at them everyday about OTHER things....so do you think switching will really help!! :(

25. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Well, that sucks.

The best way to fix this problem is my tried-and-true method.

1. Don't be whiny. Don't think you are entitled to free stuff. You can complain about the iPod or printer whatever it is that is the free thingy nowadays, but we get to that later.

2. Be polite. Always. A whiny twat will get nowhere. A person who explains that they are aggravated and trying to work through this will earn sympathy.

3. Don't lie. Then you lose.

4. Here's what you do. Call AppleCare. Ask to talk to a manager. Explain what happened and that you need you need your laptop for work. Explain you are attempting to switch, but you are getting frustrated at the lack of help you are getting. Tell them that you really want your PowerBook but it isn't working. Also explain the rebate and how you have been previously jipped. (Sympathy points) If they don't help you, ask to talk to their manager. That should be the highest you need to go to get help, but even the "one-up" guy should help.

5. Don't give up. Apple can have amazing support... or it can have crap support. It sucks when you are having a crap moment. But for me, I sent in my PowerBook on a Monday and it was back Thursday. About 72 hours between it leaving and coming back. See what I mean by, "Good when it's good, bad when it's bad?"

6. Please stay with the Mac community. We'd love to have ya with us. Welcome to the light side of computing. :)