VERY VERY VERY VERY STRANGE

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by akshea, Jun 10, 2005.

1. akshea macrumors newbie

At 5:00am this morning smthing strange, very very strange, happened to my Mac. I lost all the itunes, bookmarks, widgets, documents. Just half an hour ago everything was still there. All I did was removing the MAC address for my G5 and added a new MAC for my PC, so that I can use my PC go online and download smthing on it. Since the minute after I changed the MAC address all the things that I downloaded and setups were gone. Everything I did in the pass 10 hrs were just gone. The songs that I downloaded were gone, the bookmarks that I saved were gone.. everything were gone. The trash bin didn't show anything that was deleted. I am now having hard time to figure out wat went wrong. Does anyone of you know or at least have a clue of wat happened? I believe it just went back to the stage when I last restarted. Anyway I can restore all the files back on to my computer? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

What do you mean you removed the MAC address on your Mac...?

Did you manually change the IP in TCP/IP, switch network cards, use some hack that spoof your MAC address to conceive your real "online identity" or something else altogether...?

3. akshea thread starter macrumors newbie

Nvm, I just figured wat happened. I was being stupid renamed the "Home" on the side bar to smthing else. So that everything just moved to a new folder under the HardDrive. I now have to figure out how to put everything back where it suppose to be.

for the MAC address I dun think that's the cause of it.

I guess nothing is strange. Strange thing only happens when people made mistakes and didn't even notice.

4. cube macrumors G4

Let's make this clear: you cannot change the MAC address. It's the IP adress that you can change.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'd read the post with the impression that he'd been mucking with a router and access profiles, not changing IP addresses on the Mac.

6. akshea thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me try to make it clear. In order for me to access the internet, I have to provide my ISP the MAC address. I wanted registered a new MAC address but I can only have 2 MAC address register at the same time. The problem is that I have 3 computers. Thus, I have to replace one of the MAC address so that I can access Internet from the 3rd computer. That was wat I meant by DEL. the MAC address. Sorry for the misleading post. :p

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You could get a US$60 LinkSys WRT54G (or similar), use that to spoof the MAC address of one of your computers, and then you could connect as many at once as you wanted.

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

or a $12 DI-514 D-Link :D
    though Tiger-Direct seems to have stopped offering them.

9. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Absolutely !
    Put a router between your computers and the cable modem/dsl modem.
    A safe thing to do when you have Windows PCs.

10. reh macrumors 6502a

The MAC address is indeed changeable.

11. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

is this a networking problem or did all of his data get lost?

12. ObsidianIce macrumors 6502

ObsidianIce

Um yeah you can. I've changed mine 4 different times when i was messing with some other stuff...

13. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Avoid changing the MAC address. This can lead to some very strange behaviour.
    On Ethernet, computers talk MAC to MAC. So ...
    There is an assumption that MAC addresses are unique.