Vesa mounts

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ajo, Oct 19, 2006.

1. ajo macrumors 6502

As I am limited for space I would like to get a vesa mount when I get a 24" iMac.

Are there any wall mounts that as well as going in and out, also go up and down.

I want this because of the way that my room is set up, I have speakers in each corner of my room at one end connected to an amp and so when watching movies on the imac it would be ideal to be central to these, also as all my cables are under the floorboards its a little hard to change.

So when using the imac for watching movies etc it would be nice if it can go a little lower.

Are these mounts ok on hollow (plaserboard) walls or is this a definate no go?

2. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

Just search a round; you really need to be aware of the imacs weight, which is going to require a beefier VESA mount, one more suitable to a plasma TV than a computer screen.

As for the wall, are there studs you can get to? Toggle bolt setups can handle some decent weight on a plaster wall, but require some decent sized holes. Wall anchors arent going to work that well, you are going to be moving the computer around and weakening their grip into the plaster.

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Most any Vesa solution can handle a 24" iMac if it can already handle a 30" ACD. I spoke to someone at Apple regarding this. The 30" ACD actually weighs just a touch more. Bretford makes two articulating arms, one for $119 and the other for $199. I think the lower price one only goes in and out while the higher price one can also go up and down.

And yes, for plaster walls, you have to find a stud to mount to. We're talking too much weight. Any sort of anchor system will be tricky in plaster, esp. considering the movement aspect that over time could loosen the anchor.

The 2 Bretfords are through the Apple store, if I can find the link, I will post them.

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Here's the link, you want the one for $199.
    I've looked around, as far as I could find, they are the only reasonable priced ones that are well made. I think you can get the same thing for $99-149, I don't remember who made it, but the reviews were bad.

You will also need the $29 24" iMac VESA mount adapter that replaces the back panel that the stand hooks to and connects to the adjustable arm.

Bretford

5. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your help

I cant find this in the UK store though.

Do Apple UK not sell them?