Vesa Wall Mounts

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tall Steve, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Tall Steve macrumors member

I am looking for an affordable Vesa adaptable wall mount of a 20" iMac.

The ones that are advertised on this site look pretty good but are over $300.00. Are there any more affordable options that are decent products.

All of the ones on ebay are on 23.00 but look cheap.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Apple sells a few through the online Apple store for $100-200. Bretford makes 2, one is $120, the other is $200, but there is also another one that is $100 or maybe even $80. I talked to someone from Apple and he said while they are advertised for the Cinema Displays, they work fine for the iMac. They can actually hold a 30" ACD, so even a 24" iMac weighs about the same. You will also need the VESA mount adapter for about $30 that replaces the bracket on the back of the iMac. Make sure it is for the right one. I know there is one for the 24" iMac but it is not universal to all three sizes, so if you need one for the 20" it needs to be for that specific size and model.

3. dcv macrumors G3

Which 20" iMac are you trying to wall-mount?

Only the iMac G5 revision A & B and now the new 24" iMac can be wall-mounted. AFAIK you can't mount the 20" Intel iMac.

Just want to be sure, before you waste your time looking for something you might not be able to use...

4. Tall Steve thread starter macrumors member

I am about to order a new 20" imac.

Are you saying the current 20" intel imacs can not be wall mounted?

5. dcv macrumors G3

Correct. Only the 24" iMac and the early G5 iMacs can be wall-mounted. Like my old one ;)

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I also believe this is the case. Apple (for some reason) discontinued VESA mounting in the iMac 17" and 20".

7. JAT macrumors 603

A VERY boneheaded move. I was looking at an iMac briefly til I realized this. Of note, all the ACDs are VESA compatible.