Veteran reporter Richard Carleton dead

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by kretzy, May 6, 2006.

1. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

While reporting on the trapped miners in Tasmania, Richard Carleton (a well know journalist here in Aus), collapsed of a suspected heart attack and died shortly after in hospital. Link to the story.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What a shock eh? Looks like those miners will be down there for yet another night - that's 13 now, I can't imagine how frustrated they must be, chipping away at rock 5x harder than concrete. Ergh...

3. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604

kretzy

I know it's unbelievable. Did you hear that Harry M Miller is already down in Tassie, no doubt planning to get their stories and sell them for large sums of money?

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I would've thought he would be down there before the earthquake - I reckon he'd have a sixth sense for when there was the chance to make some coin.

5. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Terrible loss. And a surprising loss. He would only have been 50 or 60 too wouldnt he?

Another day of frustration in Tassie. :(

6. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604

kretzy

Yeah he was only 64, though he had had health issues in the past.

At least he went out doing what he best. These were his last words: "On 26th October last year, not 10 metres from where these men are now entombed, you had a 400-tonne rock fall. Why is it, is it the strength of the seam, or the wealth of the seam, that you continue to send men into work in such a dangerous environment?"