Vevo Working on Apple TV App for 24/7 Music Video Channel [Update: Coming This Month]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 8, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Music video company Vevo is developing an app for the Apple TV, according to a report from AdAge. The app will show a 24/7 music video channel with ads made specifically for television rather than for streaming Internet video.
    Vevo has an existing iOS app [iPhone, iPad], and, if it launches an Apple TV app, would join other recently launched apps including HBO Go and WatchESPN. Apple is also rumored to be coming close to launching a Time Warner Cable app for the Apple TV.

Apple worked with a number of third-party content providers recently to launch new channels for the Apple TV. HBO used an internal development team to make its app, presumably using an unpublished development kit from Apple.

Historically, the Apple TV has taken a backseat to the iPad and the iPhone with the company referring to the Apple TV as a "hobby project," though Apple is rumored to be exploring new product lines that could eventually include an Apple television set.

At the D11 conference in May, Apple CEO Tim Cook reiterated that television continues to be an "area of great interest" for Apple and that the company has a "grand vision" in place.

Update: According to AllThingsD, the Vevo Apple TV app is slated for release later this month.

Article Link: Vevo Working on Apple TV App for 24/7 Music Video Channel [Update: Coming This Month]

2. macrumors member

This rocks.

3. macrumors newbie

Awesome, love the way vevo setup their website streaming.....expect the App to have similar quality when it comes to user experience.

4. macrumors 65816

Deja Vu..

"Video killed the radio star ... --- ..."

5. macrumors 6502

ScottishDuck

Vevo is the worst

6. macrumors newbie

Ughhh

Now I have to wait for the new version to get jailbroken... Too many updates!

7. macrumors 6502

FirstNTenderbit

Lean Back experience... aww yeah.

-Fat Joe:D

8. macrumors 68000

keysofanxiety

Welcome to the world of technology. Things change :D

9. macrumors 6502a

Bring on VeeJay Nina Blackwood ... Hmm or more like her daughter ( if she had one ) :D

10. macrumors 6502

sshambles

Sounds awesome.
    Vevo > Youtube for Music Videos.

11. macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Not very fond of AppleTV....

but seems nice a VEVO addition. I think the Apple TV will remain crippled until Apple signaled clearly their intentions in the TV arena. Ending the rumor mill in the process....:D

:):apple:

12. macrumors 6502a

Just don't go the way of MTV

13. macrumors regular

machpost

I'm excited about all the new apps coming to the Apple TV, but hopefully the 99% of us who don't have Time Warner Cable will be able to easily hide the app. Or better yet, it won't show up unless the Apple TV sees that you're pulling a TWC IP address.

14. macrumors regular

That was music from a better time...

As long as they play music from the last, oh...10-15 years...it won't matter because that music sucks. ;)

15. macrumors 68020

Roku has it for a year now

16. macrumors 6502a

lol this is going to be better than MTV.

17. macrumors regular

True!

18. macrumors 6502a

I made a YouTube channel called "VevoOfficialMusicVid" once and put a couple of random things on it, and YouTube silently killed it after a few days. Totally banned. I don't really blame them, but that's strange.

----------

So much better. Glad that someone went in and took their position.

19. macrumors 68020

Ads are a killer

Only somewhat useful...if the videos are without ads. I think I can pretty much find everything on YouTube that is on Vevo. And there are only so many music videos I can watch before going brain dead.

Aero app for aTV is what I am looking for. Aero combined with iTunes (or Netflix if you prefer) would give some oomph to the system. Only thing I would need to figure out are certain sports. But I think there are solutions for that problem if you did deep enough.

20. macrumors 68040

No thanks, its bad enough that they slap adverts all over their youtube pages.

21. macrumors newbie

Vevo Working on Apple TV App for 24/7 Music Video Channe

Yay!

22. macrumors 6502

kurzz

Just open an Apple TV app store already! C'mooooon!

23. macrumors 6502

Mac Fly (film)

The supposed "grand vision" comment from Cook came from the leading question, "is there a grand vision?". So the term was put in his mouth. People referring to this as Cook says 'X' are misleading.

What was he supposed to say, 'no' ?

24. macrumors 6502a

Glassed Silver

Well, I already know where it definitely will NOT launch this month. ;):rolleyes:

PS: If you need a tip: The country starts with a "G" and ends with "ermany".

Glassed Silver:mac

25. macrumors 601

ActionableMango

Wow, a 24/7 music video channel

What a great idea! I wonder why nobody has tried this before.

Hmmm, but why call it "Vevo"? They should call it "Music TV", or perhaps "MTV" for short.