Vewing WMV format on Mac OS9 problem, pls help.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by XLR8A, Mar 7, 2005.

1. XLR8A macrumors newbie

Hello ladies and gentleman,

I use an oldskool G3 with OS9.2.2 and MediaPlayer7.1 -
    (as far as i know MP7.1 is the latest version for OS9.2.2)
    The problem is when i'm trying to open a document that was originally created in MP9 -
    it doesn't open in MP7.1, and i can't even install MP9 because it doesn't support my OS.

The question is:
    There is some way to open that document without installing OS-X or buying new computer?
    Maybe some codec for quicktime or something, i searched the net but didn't find anything...

p.s. sorry for my english, it's not my native language, i hope most of you can understand.

Thnks in advance,

Peace.

:cool:

2. Norouzi macrumors 6502

I don't know of anything for OS 9 that'll do what you want. There are options for OS X such as VLC for playing windows media but not for OS 9. My advice is to move to 10. I used to run it on a B&W G3 with no problems. OS 9 is a dead OS, there is no more development on it so you probabily will not find much to help you, and even less as time goes on.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Windows Media 9 files can be opened only in Windows Media Player 9 or Windows Media Player 10. Windows Media Player 9 is the most recent version available for MacOS X. Windows Media Player 7.1.3 is the most recent version of WMP for MacOS 9. Non-Microsoft software is available to play of some DRM-free WMV files in newer formats. However, that software requires MacOS X, Windows, or Linux. The bottomline is that you cannot play Windows Media 9 content on MacOS 9.

4. XLR8A thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually i have same B&W G3, and i run a recording studio,
    i spent dozens thousands of $ on expansive software for OS9,
    and i have lots of even more expansive hardware that works with OS9 only.
    So, buying a new computer that can boot from OS-X only it's not a solution
    for me, but installing another OS can be a great idea. There is some boot manager
    that can switch between 9 and X when the computer starts up ?

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If they (OS9/OSX installs) are on separate partition/hard drives, your finger on the Option key is the "boot manager".

6. XLR8A thread starter macrumors newbie

Thnks man, i'll put another hardisk innit and install the X on it.

:D