VF5 is 1080p on PS3

Discussion in 'Games' started by darkwing, Feb 8, 2007.

1. darkwing macrumors 65816

According to my friend in Japan who bought VF5 today, it supports 1080p.

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Sonic plays in 1080p too, but its native 720p. Newer PS3 games that utilized the newest SDK can use the hardware scaler in the PS3. I would be interested to know if VF5 is native 1080p or if it is using the hardware scaler like Sonic is.

Ed

3. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I forgot about this. I guess the ps3 has a hardware scaler after all.

4. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Really? I must have missed that news.

I thought with the SDK update they added support for a software scaler...

5. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

No it was hardware. I can't find anything about how useful that is or not.

http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/ps3scaler/

6. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Doesn't seem to have any real information, though. The article clear talks about PS3 have a hardware scaler, but doesn't mention any concrete facts about that specifically, only that the new SDK introduce horizontal scaling. Perhaps the official SDK docs say "hardware horizontal scaling", but it doesn't seem to be mentioned unless I overlooked it.

The new resolutions and having only horizontal scaling is interesting. It appears to me that 960x1080 could be pretty telling, that they know high-action games (like Resistance) will require <1920x1080 to run at good speed. That's obviously an assumption there.

Given Sony's track record of misleading information, the idea they have all these x1080 modes make me wonder if they will use that for marketing purposes. Since HD modes only list the vertical resolution (720p, 1080p, etc) it's possible they could call any game running in 960x1080 a "1080p" game since it is not interlaced and has a full 1080 lines of vertical data. How would anyone know if they really had a game running at native 1920x1080? My guess is they just wouldn't unless developers said so... or sony uses "TrueHD" for that, but then... they'd be making all the upscaled games "look bad" as if they aren't true hd, so that seems unlikely.

Unfortunately for those effected, it doesn't look like any of the launch games are going to benefit from the additions anyway, so no RFoM in 1080p... maybe they will re-release it as a "best seller" and support the new 960x1080 mode?

7. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

"The key words in that last paragraph would be “until now,” because with the latest PlayStation 3 software development kit (SDK) update, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) has finally exposed part of the built-in hardware scaler to developers."

Ed

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ but will that mean they will release a firmware for our PS3's that will allow current 720p games to be upscaled ?

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

They already did :) Sonic is 720p native, and it upscales on my TV to 1080p.

I think 1.51 added it, but it could have been 1.50

Ed

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Maybe the hardware was always there but locked...like companies always do.

I'm guessing the update unlocked it.

Bless

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You bought Sonic ? :rolleyes: tut tut tut

:D

12. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

The SDK unlocked part of it to the developers, the firware update allowed it to be used by the consumers. Maybe thats what you mean and i just need more sleep :p

13. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I really enjoy it tbh :eek:

I'll PM you a short review that i did on another site if you are interested.

Ed

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

OK so :)

15. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

That's exactly what I mean, that quote is from Beyond3D, not SCEI.

It doesn't even say 'Sony has announced partial support for the PS3 hardware scaler'. I don't see anywhere that Sony actually said it was a hardware scaler, just that Beyond3D assumed that's what it meant.

This could be a low level OS feature added in that is done through software, it's still unclear - that's all I'm saying.

As for Sonic, I look forward to the review! Always liked Sonic Adventure, etc.

16. darkwing thread starter macrumors 65816

Agreed. :rolleyes:

Hao is just asking questions, and they're the same ones I'm asking. I feel the half-horizontal resolution, however, could be used to render a field type thing and do a half frame-rate 1080p game or something.