VGA box

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kalns, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Big fat red flag on that item:

720x480

Best resolution you're gonna get is 720x480, which is 480p. Don't expect to pass 720p or 1080anything through that box.

3. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

That's fine. I have my 360 hooked up in the home theater so I'll just leave that there and hook the PS2 up to this.

4. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

5. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

I own that exact model and never really use it. Picture not all that good, but that was on my old 14" CRT.
    Tell ya what... I've got nothing to do today so i'll hook it up to my Dell 2407WFP. I can even test it with similar settings. I've got 2 PSTwo's (1 US, 1 JAP) with component cables and the Dell has split screen so... I'll post back in an hour or 2. I think the only game I have both the japanese and US edition of is Guilty Gear XX.
    See ya soon.

Oh, and I still don't have a digicam so don't hold your breath for pictures. Maybe pics after christmas or new years, but I'll post my experience with the set up in an hour or 2.

6. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

7. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

prepair to be disappointed

I'm sorry to say it's worse than I remembered. Blacks are green. Lots of VCR style video noise. The picute jitters. The highlights are blown out. The blacks are crushed. The colors are over saturated. And everythings pixelated. It's like playing a pc game from the early 90's. It looks like bad flash video from youtube. Yes this is using the component video input. You would be better served getting a monitor with video inputs built in.

8. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

ouch....well...I guess it's good that I only paid 40 for this thing.

I would get one of those Dells with the component inputs but I got this Samsung for 174.oo. It was a special sale and way too good to pass up.

9. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

other options

I'd check on the VGA boxes readily available at gaming stores and departments. They may not have component video, but they gotta be better than this no name hong kong hardware. Maybe just a cheap VGA to component adaptor would be better, you're still gonna need a VGA switcher if you wanna also use the 360 VGA cable too.

10. Kalns thread starter macrumors regular

Kalns

So you think I probably ought to leave this thing unopened when I get it and put it right back on ebay? I was looking at the VGA to component breakout cables but they were nearly a hundred dollars. Though I supopose if that's what I have to pay then that's what I'll do.

Would this work?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002J1JGS/nextag-ce-20/ref=nosim