VGA splitter purchasing advice

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Blue Velvet, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Or 'Distribution Amplifier' as it's called on the back of the box which has now burnt out...

I'm no video pro but am trying to reliably source a replacement for the VGA/XGA/UXGA 2-way distribution amplifier that splits the signal for our reception plasma screen and the Mac's monitor.

Can I replace this (the broken component):
    http://www.extron.com/product/product.asp?id=p2da2plus

...with this?
    http://www.startech.com/Product/ItemDetail.aspx?productid=ST122PROGB&c=UK

The Extron model is not available through our standard IT equipment suppliers with who we have an account, the Startech one is.

Many thanks in advance for all help and possible reassurance...

BV

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

[ Note for others: There is some kind of per-country sniffing in there, so it's necessary to pick UK from the menu at the top right of the page before the StarTech link will work. ]

On paper, that box will do the job. Are you using any crazy long cable runs, or are the displays a reasonable distance from each other (or rather, from the splitter)?

3. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Thanks, iMeowbot.

The 42" plasma screen is about 10-12 metres from the splitter. Incidentally, it runs a 16:9 Flash presentation on a loop, can't remember the pixel dimensions off-hand...

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Oh, 12m? That's fine, I was worried about the 65 vs. 75m difference :D

The max. resolution on the old box is UXGA (1600x1200) vs. 2048x1536 on the new one, so bandwidth (again, on paper!) should not be an issue. they both appear to have the same requirement (that the display on first port talks to the VGA card and dictates the max. resolution), so the two boxes should behave the same way.

5. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Thanks, I'll go ahead and order it then. :)

The wired-in power-brick on the previous one melted. My first thought when walking into the room and smelling the burnt plastic, was that the Mac had fried... :eek:

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yay! Now we only have to hope that the paper specs match real life (muahahahahah!).